Endt 373 Torque

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a great PDF with all the models and engine specs from oldmacksrus:

http://www.oldmacksrus.com/Adobe_Pdf's...0%20Engines.pdf

The ENDT/LT 673 @205 HP had a torque rating of 560/590 ft-lbs from 1400-1600 RPM.

hi,

Great info. Are all the diesels listed there straight 6 cylinder configurations? And, from a dependability standpoint, is any engine there particularly better or worse than any of the others? I'm still trying to decide which diesel to upgrade to from my mutilated EN 707B gasser. Are there any engines that are definitely known to be a direct drop-in replacement without changing motor mounts etc?

Thanks.

Steve

hi,

Great info. Are all the diesels listed there straight 6 cylinder configurations? And, from a dependability standpoint, is any engine there particularly better or worse than any of the others? I'm still trying to decide which diesel to upgrade to from my mutilated EN 707B gasser. Are there any engines that are definitely known to be a direct drop-in replacement without changing motor mounts etc?

Thanks.

Steve

Steve,

The 465, 511, 673, 711 diesels were all inline 6 cylinder engines. The END 864 was a V8 but parts are very very hard to find, especially for the twin turbo model. The 673 thermodyne is a good replacement along with the 711 diesel, but parts arent so easy (or impossible) to find new. But plenty of junk yard motors and parts can be had easily. The alternative is the Maxidyne 237HP which is almost a drop in replacement. But you can destroy the old twin stick tranny with its high torque. Better off putting a 5 or 6 speed mack tranny behind it as they are relitivly inexpensive.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Steve,

The 465, 511, 673, 711 diesels were all inline 6 cylinder engines. The END 864 was a V8 but parts are very very hard to find, especially for the twin turbo model. The 673 thermodyne is a good replacement along with the 711 diesel, but parts arent so easy (or impossible) to find new. But plenty of junk yard motors and parts can be had easily. The alternative is the Maxidyne 237HP which is almost a drop in replacement. But you can destroy the old twin stick tranny with its high torque. Better off putting a 5 or 6 speed mack tranny behind it as they are relitivly inexpensive.

Hi,

What's the cu in displacement of the Maxidyne 237 hp engine? Would a radiator for the 707B gas engine handle the 237's cooling needs? When you say "almost drop-in replacement" does that mean it uses different front engine mounts from the 707B?

Thank you.

Steve

Hi,

What's the cu in displacement of the Maxidyne 237 hp engine? Would a radiator for the 707B gas engine handle the 237's cooling needs? When you say "almost drop-in replacement" does that mean it uses different front engine mounts from the 707B?

Thank you.

Steve

Ahh you have an L model fire truck correct? Hmmm well I was browsing the other thread and It looks like you want a show/cruising truck only. As for a strait drop in replacement, a 237 and 5 or 6 speed should bolt right up. Lots of torque good on fuel and the 5/6 speed will make shifting easy. If you want to cruise from show to show with an air stream then this is a great way to go as you have a more modern engine thats easy to service and its still a Mack. I was looking at a 1944 mack LFSW that had a 237 and a 5 or 6 speed swapped in for power. Click on my name and go to my gallery and you will see the LF with a 237.

As to why you should take the transmission out is because the old mack thermodyne engines did not make allot of torque compared to the maxidynes. The 2 stick transmission behind a 237 can work, but you have to be careful not to cause any shock from letting off the clutch too quick or improper shifts. Otherwise you end up with a destroyed gearbox that cant be rebuilt (or it can be for a kings ransom) Also the 237's power curve wont nicely match up to the 2 stick and you wind up not being able to keep the engine in its sweet spot. You also will have to change the bell housing on the 237 to get the 2 stick to bolt up which I hear is a pain because the oil pan gets in the way unless you change/modify that too.

so in conclusion the easy route is to stay Mack with a 237 and a 5 or 6 speed. You could put in a smaller cummins B series that will get great fuel but you will have to fabricate new motor mounts and possibly new transmission mounts. Its up to you but I say keep it as Mack as possible.

Oh and dont throw that 2 stick out! They dont make em any more and the more we have regardless of the condition the better. So be sure it finds a good home. Maybe the 707 has a few good parts on it like water and oil pumps as well as fuel system parts. Make sure you list that engine for parts and see if anyone wants to pick at it.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Ahh you have an L model fire truck correct? Hmmm well I was browsing the other thread and It looks like you want a show/cruising truck only. As for a strait drop in replacement, a 237 and 5 or 6 speed should bolt right up. Lots of torque good on fuel and the 5/6 speed will make shifting easy. If you want to cruise from show to show with an air stream then this is a great way to go as you have a more modern engine thats easy to service and its still a Mack. I was looking at a 1944 mack LFSW that had a 237 and a 5 or 6 speed swapped in for power. Click on my name and go to my gallery and you will see the LF with a 237.

. . .

so in conclusion the easy route is to stay Mack with a 237 and a 5 or 6 speed. You could put in a smaller cummins B series that will get great fuel but you will have to fabricate new motor mounts and possibly new transmission mounts. Its up to you but I say keep it as Mack as possible.

Oh and dont throw that 2 stick out! They dont make em any more and the more we have regardless of the condition the better. So be sure it finds a good home. Maybe the 707 has a few good parts on it like water and oil pumps as well as fuel system parts. Make sure you list that engine for parts and see if anyone wants to pick at it.

hi,

Thank you for your reply. It's beginning to look as though the 237 and 6 speed is the easiest way to go.

I'm still learning my Mack ABC's - is the number "237" the hp or displacement or model number of the engine? Is a EM6 the same thing as a Mack 237? What years was this engine available? If I was at a junk yard looking at a lot of engines, where on the block would I find the number "237" or find numbers that I could look up to cross-reference the engine as a 237? Did it come with different fuel injection pumps? If so, which one is preferred?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just learning my Macks.

I'll just give that 707 gas engine away to anyone who wants it (except its power steering pump. I don't know if replacement engines would come with a proper capacity power steering pump) if they can help me remove the water pump from the cab.

Thank you.

Steve

numbers that I could look up to cross-reference the engine as a 237?

ENDT 675 or EM6 - 237. on the ID plate on the right side of the engine.

It's the same size externally as the 707 gas engine.

672 cu. in displacement, 237 HP., 906 ft. lbs. torque.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"