Ford Diesel Pick-up Recall

Barry

Ford announced today that it has ordered its dealers to temporarily stop selling select models of its 2008 F-Series Super Duty trucks equipped with 6.4-liter Powerstroke diesels. The reason? Flaming tailpipes.

Ford is further recalling 37,400 F-Series SD models equipped with the Blue Oval’s 6.4-liter oil-burners, though in all fairness, around 29,000 of them are believed to be on dealer lots. The remaining gas and diesel powertrains (the latter displacing 6.0- and 7.3-liter, respectively) are not affected by the initiative.

Apparently, the problem stems from leaking fuel that ignites on a particulate filter that’s located near the tailpipe. Of the three reported cases (one resulting in a small grass fire), two of the leaks stemmed from a fuel injector issue, while the other was the result of a crack in the turbocharger.

Ford will execute a software upgrade for the engine’s control module, with the additional code instructing the engine to “power down” when the particulate filter in question registers unusually high temperatures.

Ford said the recall does not affect gasoline-powered pickups or those with 6.0-liter or 7.3-liter diesel engines.

If this happened to me...I might not do the recall! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc&

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Wow!

I thought flaming tail pipes were cool, I know a lot of hot rodders who would like them as well. <G>

David

LOL not when your blowing a 5 foot flame outta your tail pipe in the triborough bridge toll plaza! The carb in our Chevy 350 gasser in our GMC 6000 had a bad float valve and was just letting gas pour into the engine. Engine died and when trying to start it the PA cop came running out screaming "your on fire, your on fire!" Both lanes next to me were all screaming too. Fun day.

That recall is gonna give International a black eye, but then again blame it on the '07 emissions. Sounds like an active regen let too much fuel into the afterburner and boy did it ever become an afterburner!

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Thats bad - FORD F series is the best seller and 75 % of the F250/350s are diesels. The 6.0 gave Ford a black eye, and now the new 6.4 looks to be off to a bad start. Shame emissions killed the 7.3 - that was a good engine.

Brad

Cuba, Mo

1960 Mack B61

1985 Mack R686

1970 IH Loadstar 1600