T-310 Transmission

cargochief

Hey guys I have a 05 Granite with 370 and T-310 Trans 208,000 mi. I've been having an intermittent grinding from Hi to Lo that has progressively gotten worse. I told the shop it was a 8LL and they said should be no big deal until they realized it's a Mack trans. They researched and inspected and found a pin worn and I guess a synchro bad the pin is not allowing the gears to fully engage on the Lo side. They can't get it back in until after Xmas. Any other thoughts or suggestions. There telling me $1700.00 for parts and 16 hrs labor maybe more once they get inside.

Thanks

Kurt

Hey guys I have a 05 Granite with 370 and T-310 Trans 208,000 mi. I've been having an intermittent grinding from Hi to Lo that has progressively gotten worse. I told the shop it was a 8LL and they said should be no big deal until they realized it's a Mack trans. They researched and inspected and found a pin worn and I guess a synchro bad the pin is not allowing the gears to fully engage on the Lo side. They can't get it back in until after Xmas. Any other thoughts or suggestions. There telling me $1700.00 for parts and 16 hrs labor maybe more once they get inside.

Thanks

Kurt

No way 16 hours unless you have a whole bunch of stuff in the way that has to be removed to gain access to the transmission. Make sure they replace the range fork set screw and the yoke retaining bolt-they are one time use items and have a tendency to loosen. A broken pin usually means something else is broken (rear motor mounts, u-joints, etc).

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

No way 16 hours unless you have a whole bunch of stuff in the way that has to be removed to gain access to the transmission. Make sure they replace the range fork set screw and the yoke retaining bolt-they are one time use items and have a tendency to loosen. A broken pin usually means something else is broken (rear motor mounts, u-joints, etc).

Just got the call from mack one of the bolts came out in the shifter, I'll bet it's the one you're talking about they had it less than a day I got it there at 9 this morning and they called at 3. I got a chance to look inside one at one trans rebuild shops this morning he said all the same kind of things u said. Thanks for the reply

Kurt