1936 Mack Info. - Any Help?

Hey folks,

Sorry to bother you like this, but I'm striving to find basic info. on commercial vehicles in the mid-1930s because my hobby and passion is researching aspects of life in the 1930s. One thing I know next to nothing about, however, is period-appropriate trucks, hence my coming here to ask for help.

Would it be possible for anyone to supply any of the following information, please? I'm looking for what folks consider the most important/interesting Mack trucks of 1936 (whether due to popularity, innovation, or simply being cool), and if at all possible I'd like to know the years of manufacture, basic engine type and bhp, payload, speed, and original price when released, thank you. I know the E series and Mack Jr. were released in 1936, but that's the extent of my knowledge, sadly.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

cheers!

Colin

I'd have to say the E Model and the Mack Jr. were the best of the late 30's...here is some info from Mack's History website:

The name of the International Motor Company is changed to the Mack Manufacturing Corporation.

The Mack E series, introduced in 1936, were streamlined, medium-duty trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings ranging up to 23,000 lbs. The E models were available in both conventional and cab-over-engine configurations and proved themselves among the most versatile products ever offered by Mack. Over 78,000 were produced through 1951.

Mack was one of the first truck manufacturers to apply four-wheel brakes to heavy-duty trucks, increasing braking ability and safety, particularly with heavier loads. In 1938, Mack became the first truck manufacturer to design and build its own heavy-duty diesel engines, establishing the tradition of "balanced design" (in which the integration of the powertrain and vehicle design maximize performance) that continues today.

Mack was a major military contractor on a much larger scale in World War II, with more specialized products. Mack trucks served the Allied forces 35,000 strong in that second conflict, in the form of prime movers, personnel carriers, wrecker trucks, tank transporters, and more.

1936-1938

Mack merchandised a series of trucks under the name "Mack Jr." The vehicle was actually built by the Reo Truck Company in Lansing, Michigan. The vehicles were built according to Mack specifications and were sold through the Mack sales organization. In total, there were 4,974 chassis built during this time frame.

This was the second time in its history that Mack sold a Mack junior chassis. The 1936-1938 units should not be confused with the earlier Mack Junior; production on that version began in 1909.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK