Cummins For B735

blegh

Does anyone have any idea if I could get a Cummins NTC (855 block) into a Mack B735??? It currently has an NT 220 hp engine behind a TRT transmission., but I need more power. I was hoping to re-ower with a big cam 400. I don't want to have to move the firewall. Thanks for any help, or ideas. cheers, barry

Guest Bollweevil

A 400 should be a bolt in. Be aware that Cummins configured these engines with high flow and low flow cooling systems. You will need a high flow to be compatible with your existing cooling system. Depending on the CPL of your replacement engine you may have issues with the fan hub. you might buy an engine with a good clutch, but most clutches these days have 2 in. splines. Your transmission input shaft might be smaller. Newer engines use a 15 in. clutch, you may have to use your old flywheel to find a clutch that will work with your transmission. These are just a few things you need to look at, before you start. Have fun with your Project, James

Guest Bollweevil

A 400 should be a bolt in. Be aware that Cummins configured these engines with high flow and low flow cooling systems. You will need a high flow to be compatible with your existing cooling system. Depending on the CPL of your replacement engine you may have issues with the fan hub. you might buy an engine with a good clutch, but most clutches these days have 2 in. splines. Your transmission input shaft might be smaller. Newer engines use a 15 in. clutch, you may have to use your old flywheel to find a clutch that will work with your transmission. These are just a few things you need to look at, before you start. Have fun with your Project, James

Guest Bollweevil

I spoke with a friend this morning, who had done this conversion in one of his own B73's. He advised me that you will have to clearance the firewall for the corner of the after cooler, He said he had to dimple a place about as big as a softball, you will also have to fabricate a front engine mount., as the NT front mount was made like the old style Freightliner, which wrapped around an extension in the front cover, at the crankshaft snout. Good luck, James