Dm 800 Cat Engine

Hi, have any of you guys seen a dm 800 with a cat 3406 mounted in it , thanks for any info, have a cat layin around and I´m gettin the itch to put it into the big guy.

Sure have. Central Jersey Trucking has a BIG DM800 that came from factory with 100,000 lb Planidrive rears 5/6 speed and 865 V8. Central rebuilt the truck with a 3406, 13 speed fuller and a 4 speed aux. So yes it is quite possible. 45LMSWM (John) knows a bit more than I do of the truck. There have also been a few other DM800's with CATS installed by owners.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Guest 45LMSWM

Hi, have any of you guys seen a dm 800 with a cat 3406 mounted in it , thanks for any info, have a cat layin around and I´m gettin the itch to put it into the big guy.

I have seen several of them. As Thad mentioned, Central Jersey's was a transplant out of a wrecked Pete. It was a 3406A (I believe it was an A engine), Water Jacket aftercooled, 400 hp. The original truck never had an air-to-air aftercooler, so they were under the impression that they could never fit an air-to-air 3406B in it, so they went with the water jacket engine when they rebuilt the truck in 1990-1991. The engine mounts had to be fabricated and some plumbing modified, but it came out very nice.

Years later working for Conforti Specialized, we rebuilt a 1980 DM800, factory equipped with a E9-V8 400 with air to air aftercooling and now I dont see why a 3406B or C would not fit. You would have to do some modifications, no doubt, but there is plenty of room in there and the sheet metal/grille has been extended beyond the radiator to make room for the air-to-air box for the E9. We have a since aquired a second DM800 with an E9-440 in it as well.

Thomas Dirkin, a contractor from Philadelphia, PA, also had a DM800 with a 3406 in it, maybe more than one, and Latona Trucking of Pittston, PA, has a DM800 with a 1693 that has recently been for sale on Truck Paper.com

John