Cv713 Steering Free Play

I just started driving a 2004, There is at least an inch of free play in the steering that is a real pain because, you have the sensation of wondering down the road in a constant swerve. The mechanic at the dealership said "yeah we have a lot of complaints about that." Is this to be expected? Also the "Power Leash" when downshifting the throttle does not respond the same as a Cummins with a Jake Brake? TIA

• 3 weeks later...

I just started driving a 2004, There is at least an inch of free play in the steering that is a real pain because, you have the sensation of wondering down the road in a constant swerve. The mechanic at the dealership said "yeah we have a lot of complaints about that." Is this to be expected? Also the "Power Leash" when downshifting the throttle does not respond the same as a Cummins with a Jake Brake? TIA

We use a lot of cv713s where I work. Concrete mixers. Have not had a lot of complaints about the steering but when we did usually it was tire related. That being said we also have gone thru about 4 sets of front springs in the last 3 weeks. In one case the spring on the driver's side was not busted but the center bolt was sheared. I noticed a wear spot on the very bottom leaf and watched while the wheels were turned. You could see the axle move almost a full inch while the spring stayed still. Other complaints were found to be in the tires. Sometimes a tire can have something wrong that will affect its ability to track ok. Just a thought. Edited by Lindsey