•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Air Compressor Problems

• Please log in to reply
    2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shortstack

shortstack

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 388 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:2004

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

I have a '04 CH613 with an AC 427. I recently started having problems with the air compressor. It seems like the unloader valve(I think that is what it is called) started sticking. Usually it works fine but sometimes just won't start building air. I tried spraying WD-40 in the line coming from the governor and shot some air in trying to clean it up. This seemed to help for about a month but it started doing it again last night. Seems like I've seen on here where a certain air compressor around this year model had this problem and I was wondering if I have the same model and if there is a rebuild kit for it or if it just needs to be replaced. A new one from my Mack dealer was around $1400 and was cheaper than any I could find from an aftermarket dealer. I'm tired of worrying about it and was wondering if anyone on here could help or have any information. the vin# is 1M1AA18Y14N155523. Thanks in advance. Trey

#2 OFFLINE   rhasler

rhasler

Wotta revoltin' development

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,877 posts
    Contributor

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

I have a '04 CH613 with an AC 427. I recently started having problems with the air compressor. It seems like the unloader valve(I think that is what it is called) started sticking. Usually it works fine but sometimes just won't start building air. I tried spraying WD-40 in the line coming from the governor and shot some air in trying to clean it up. This seemed to help for about a month but it started doing it again last night. Seems like I've seen on here where a certain air compressor around this year model had this problem and I was wondering if I have the same model and if there is a rebuild kit for it or if it just needs to be replaced. A new one from my Mack dealer was around $1400 and was cheaper than any I could find from an aftermarket dealer. I'm tired of worrying about it and was wondering if anyone on here could help or have any information. the vin# is 1M1AA18Y14N155523. Thanks in advance. Trey

It shows to have a Wabco compressor. There was a cylinder head replacement kit for them (Mack part number 8235-S9119068002). Cylinder head replacement was discontinued due to repeat failures caused by incorrect head installation. Here is a link to the Meritor Wabco technical publication for the cylinder head replacement:
    http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/tp02122.pdf
    I'm not sure the kit is still available thru Mack, the Meritor part number will be the same as above but without the 8235 in the part number.
    "Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

#3 OFFLINE   shortstack

shortstack

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 388 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:CH613
    • Year:2004

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

It shows to have a Wabco compressor. There was a cylinder head replacement kit for them (Mack part number 8235-S9119068002). Cylinder head replacement was discontinued due to repeat failures caused by incorrect head installation. Here is a link to the Meritor Wabco technical publication for the cylinder head replacement:
    http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/tp02122.pdf
    I'm not sure the kit is still available thru Mack, the Meritor part number will be the same as above but without the 8235 in the part number.

rhasler, thanks for the info. I'll check monday to see if that kit is still available. Might be able to save some $$$.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users