tarp wiring problem

A guy came back today and said that his tarp was stuck. The switch felt funky, so i replaced it. Now the motor doesn't work. I changed the solenoid and still nothing... The motor kicked on once or twice but no piston movement. Also, with the switch on, with a test light i have power on the fuel tank...Whats goin on here? Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for a tarp pump motor?

When you say you have power to the fuel tank, what do you mean?

Also, Are the tarp controls in cab or located outside? And are they all electric (meaning there are no hand operated hydraulic valves?)

The tarp has an electric-hydraulic power pack. I assume the switch energizes the solenoid which turns the hydraulic pump motor on. Get a meter or test light on the solenoid and turn the dash switch on. Then probe the wires to the solenoid and motor (from the dash switch on back to the motor.) Make sure you have power on both sides of the switch.

Since I never used a tarp system, just give us a quick explanation of how you activate the tarp, is it a dash switch? Are there limit switches to detect when the tarp has fully deployed or rolled up? My guess is you have a loose wire somewhere.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Well i played with it for a few hours. I should have just stuck with my initial guess of a bad motor. It's an on/off/on switch located in the cab. Theres one power wire (green) that connected to vbatt at the solenoid. That feeds power to the switch. When the switch is pressed up or down the green feeds power to the "tickle" wire to the solenoid which energizes it sending power to the motor. Also with the switch pressed up or down the green wire also sends power to either the "up" or "down solenoid." When i say the fuel tank had power, i mean it had power. With a test light, one end on the negative of the battery, and the other on the tank, the light lit up. What i think happened, was that the motor shorted out internally, and basically made the whole truck "live"; so to speak. It had me way thrown off. But I got a new motor, new solenoid, and a new switch, just itching to get installed. I think i just needed to write it all out to help me ha ha... Thanks!

I replaced the motor. And it worked flawlessly about ten times. I put the cover back on and parked it, tried it, nothing... I retightened the solenoid to the case and it worked. Put the cover back on and nothing. I have continuity between the positive post on the motor and the case... Any ideas what's goin on here? I'd think a short would trip the breaker. Why would it work, then all of a sudden not?