Mack E9 V8

hello guys

here you have a phone number off dale franchis his shop :(440)254-4046

cell :(440)476-3363

ore you can mail him :dalefrancis33@aol.com

what i now is hey must have a huge collection off E-9 parts he and jr collins bought a lot off E-9 stuf on the hagerstown mack powertrain plant sow iff you need info call him greetings rene

MACK FOREVER :mack1:

Hi, there is alot of E9s down here. a friend has one in a Titan that pulls triples here and he says it is absolutely awsome, it has got more balls than any thing they have had, it does use the fuel tho. 1/2 a mile to 1/4 a gallon!

Grant

Hi, there is alot of E9s down here. a friend has one in a Titan that pulls triples here and he says it is absolutely awsome, it has got more balls than any thing they have had, it does use the fuel tho. 1/2 a mile to 1/4 a gallon!

Grant

Hey Ducky, what's your friend running for horsepower? If he's pulling triples, must be the 610 HP version-right? Lel me know.

Best regards,

john

Hey Ducky, what's your friend running for horsepower? If he's pulling triples, must be the 610 HP version-right? Lel me know.

Best regards,

john

Hello, 575 comes to mind. dont think it was 610. they had also messed with the pump a little to. they were known to grenade down here tho. bad for throwing a leg out of bed, but still all in all a gutsy engine.

I pulled a triple the other day with a 475 trident, poor thing! it didnt like that 8% grade hill!

Grant

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In the end of 60's the V8 ENDT865 and 866 are exit with 325hp and 375hp, the E9 take the same engine block rework and the same breech too rework, from of 14,. Liters at 16,4 Liters. Exit to outset 80's, he developed 400hp and with the years 450hp, 500hp (USA, Australia, France), 520-525hp (fluently in Australia on RW Super-Liner and MH Ultra-Liner and France on Magnum by Renault ), 560hp (fluently in France on the Magnum), 610hp (Fluently in Australia on Titan and MH Ultra-Liner), 700hp on the Renault TRM 700-100 here for trucks in séries with injection pump Robert Bosch in-line or Américan Bosch in V. Mr Monné, importer and méchanical Mack Trucks in Holland, has modified a V8 E9 500hp for 700hp on a CL model. In engine marine version the E9 did 900hp. With different régulation injection pump the power varied... But the E9 engine, is a very best engine.

I hope help and thanks for this topic very well, and scuse me I little speak English, I'm French !

Edouard

• Like 1

Built like a Mack Truck...

• 11 months later...

Francis Engineering

Francis Engineering features more than 60 different machines to handle your performance needs. Ranging from chassis manufacturing to engine building and everything in between, Francis Engineering has you covered. Located in Leroy, Ohio Francis Engineering not only builds and machines everything in-house, they are also a warehouse distributor for over 1,100 different parts manufacturers and distributors. For more information, contact Dale Francis at (440) 254-4046 or fax (440) 254-2003

No website, eh??

I believe the E9 400 came out in 78 or 79 with the Introduction of the first Superliners. Then around 82-83 mack came out with the E9 440 V8, and in 1985 they came out with the E9 500 in the US as stated previously in this thread.

I have 2 V8 Superliners that run everyday. Wouldnt trade or sell for anyother truck in the world.

I believe the first ENDT's V8 that came out in the B-Models had twins in them. The ENDT's had lots of problems. I never owned an 865 or 866 but I sure to like the R700L's with the west coast package

Edited by brutus998

I believe the E9 400 came out in 78 or 79 with the Introduction of the first Superliners. Then around 82-83 mack came out with the E9 440 V8, and in 1985 they came out with the E9 500 in the US as stated previously in this thread.

I have 2 V8 Superliners that run everyday. Wouldnt trade or sell for anyother truck in the world.

I believe the first ENDT's V8 that came out in the B-Models had twins in them. The ENDT's had lots of problems. I never owned an 865 or 866 but I sure to like the R700L's with the west coast package

The B or C never had a turbo.It was a end 864 but the ENDT cme out in 67 maybe late 66. It was a twin turbo. The first twin turbo as i was told that left the factory was in a F700.I rrmember very well the first one sold here. It was a different sound but had fuel pump problems until the V serials was released.The B615 was a END 864 with a very small oil pan for axle spacing.

glenn akers

The B or C never had a turbo.It was a end 864 but the ENDT cme out in 67 maybe late 66. It was a twin turbo. The first twin turbo as i was told that left the factory was in a F700.I rrmember very well the first one sold here. It was a different sound but had fuel pump problems until the V serials was released.The B615 was a END 864 with a very small oil pan for axle spacing.

i have one of those f models had 2 turbos 2 breathers extra gauge console got it off the orginal owner

I think the last CL with an E9 is in Hagerstown at the powertrain plant. It is equipped with V-MAC technology and everthing about it is computer controlled. Many people have tried to buy it but as far as I know it's still there. I have been told that the E9 was going to make a come back in 2003, it was beating the six bangers in fuel economy on the test stands and conforming to all the EPA standards but the Volvo purchase took place in 2002 and the E9 program was canned to make way for the MP-10/D-16 engine.

I have 2 E9's running right now. One in a 1987 Superliner with a E9-400 that's never been pumped up, and the other in a 1990 Superliner with an E9-500 that's pushing 600-650 hp. Every truck driver I have ever talked to has a V8 Mack story. They either tell you about one they drove and how well they liked it or how one blew their doors off. If you ever drove one that was right you don't want anything else.

I am currently doing an inframe overhaul on mine which is the 1990 Superliner. Parts are getting very expensive but no more than any other comperable engine. I'm going to have between 6k and 7k in this overhaul not counting labor. My friend with a C15 550 CAT just spent more than that overhauling his engine. I have 2 spare E9 engines and I think while parts are still available I'm going to start building another one for the next go round cause I don't want nothin else.

I think the last CL with an E9 is in Hagerstown at the powertrain plant. It is equipped with V-MAC technology and everthing about it is computer controlled. Many people have tried to buy it but as far as I know it's still there. I have been told that the E9 was going to make a come back in 2003, it was beating the six bangers in fuel economy on the test stands and conforming to all the EPA standards but the Volvo purchase took place in 2002 and the E9 program was canned to make way for the MP-10/D-16 engine.

Makes you feel a little sick knowing it was close to a comeback. I believe the V-MAC E9's were available in Australia and Europe.

• Like 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

My current restoration project is a 1966 R-719LT that has a factory V-8 with the twin turbos. Note that it also came with twin pyrometers. Lucky for me the engine runs really good so I am not intending to tear it down but to just do a cosmetic resto and detail of the engine. The fuel tanks are aluminum. And you can't beat a single axle for having room to keep it.

post-198-0-47885800-1298429001_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-01844900-1298429019_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-06290900-1298429029_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-21819100-1298429292_thumb.jpg

I have one each of the first model V8's: I have a 1964 B815 with the naturally aspirated 864 in it, and last month I bought a 1980 RSW721LST Superliner with the 400 HP version of the E9. And I would love to have more information on either engine. John - please let us know where and when your article is published!

Makes you feel a little sick knowing it was close to a comeback. I believe the V-MAC E9's were available in Australia and Europe.

Thad, I think I've asked about that here before. I've seen parts listings for VMAC II E9 engines rated at 610 HP, maybe 650. Sure would have been cool to see them make a comeback.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

And, for that matter, I would like to know what on earth "RWS721LST" means!

Welcome to the site john

Regarding your truck let me try

R Rmodel

W Western

S Steel frame

2 (these numbers noted weight and engine family)

L lightweight componets

ST six wheel tractor or semi tractor (IIRC the notes changed around a little)

And, for that matter, I would like to know what on earth "RWS721LST" means!

RW is the letter desigination for the Superliner

S is for steel frame

7 is kinda generic as all first generation Superliners were 700's,originally this was the designation for long hood.

21 is the code for the E9-400

L-lightweight (aluminum components,fuel tanks,transmission case,rear end carriers,etc.

S - six wheel chassis(twin screw)

T - tractor

Thanks guys! I understand the B model naming scheme reasonably well, but I'm new to the R's and the Superliners I saw advertised didn't seem to have a clear pattern - some were 721's, some were 713's, and a lot of them were listed as 613's - and the engines were all over the map. For example, I just went back to http://www.trucktotruck.com/ and it's showing RW's of:

Rw613

Rw712ls

RW713

Rw733

Rw753

Rwl766ls

Rwl766lst

Rwl770

Rws754lst

Rws788st

RW713 is the most popular category, and the listings under it have engines from E6-300 to E9-500. I have also noticed that a lot of the 500's I looked at were 13's - was "13" the code for the E9-500, and people have swapped down to sixes over the years?

A friend of mine had one of those twin turbo Mack V8's in his R700 back in early 70's, the motor would not stay together! Mack worked out some kind of deal with him on a new tractor wrecked or rolled over in transport an he wound up with a 237 Maxie with a 6 speed' not a lot of power but he was able to pay for his R700 afte the transplant

I have started the review article on the Mack E9 and Mack V8 development several times but things keep popping up that have distracted me. I am working on this article plus one on the Cummins single disk injector pump plus an article on the Procter company based on 12 boxes of documents that I purchased last year. I'll post one of the pictures here that dates to the turn of the century when steam was king. Mr Procter Sr is in this photo in the background.

Best regards,

John

post-1471-0-65896200-1298469797_thumb.jp

My current restoration project is a 1966 R-719LT that has a factory V-8 with the twin turbos. Note that it also came with twin pyrometers. Lucky for me the engine runs really good so I am not intending to tear it down but to just do a cosmetic resto and detail of the engine. The fuel tanks are aluminum. And you can't beat a single axle for having room to keep it.

The stats show this as a 864 with twin turboes putting out 300hp.