2 Speed Axle

Question--I have a1984 single axle international dump truck. The 2 speed axle stopped working. It works off air and is on the gear shift. I cannot find the gear box where the axle changes from low to high. They are usually on the rear axle and this one is not. Might it be mounted on the transmission and where at

Question--I have a1984 single axle international dump truck. The 2 speed axle stopped working. It works off air and is on the gear shift. I cannot find the gear box where the axle changes from low to high. They are usually on the rear axle and this one is not. Might it be mounted on the transmission and where at

It's got to be on the rear axle somewhere, or at least every one i've ever seen was. Some are electric shift and some are vacuum shifted (usually the older ones were vacuum shifted). There has to be a motor somewhere on the rear axle to change the ratio from hi to lo and vice versa. I'm not up to snuff on newer stuff but unless it's actually inside the rear end housing it's got to be there somewhere. Sure it's not an 8LL trans, or a super 10- which you shift like a 2 speed-and doesn't have a 2 spd. rear? I don't know...

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

It's got to be on the rear axle somewhere, or at least every one i've ever seen was. Some are electric shift and some are vacuum shifted (usually the older ones were vacuum shifted). There has to be a motor somewhere on the rear axle to change the ratio from hi to lo and vice versa. I'm not up to snuff on newer stuff but unless it's actually inside the rear end housing it's got to be there somewhere. Sure it's not an 8LL trans, or a super 10- which you shift like a 2 speed-and doesn't have a 2 spd. rear? I don't know...

I found it. eaton fuller trans-- air goes to a regulator mounted on rear of trans connected to a range cylinder with a plunger that pushes a fork inside trans that changes the high and low gear. Many possibilities on problem such as dirty filter in regulator. It all seemed to boil down to this range cylinder getting the right amount of air. Thanks for the help anyway