Rob

Looking For Hydraulic Steering Valve:

Is there anybody out there with one of these hydraulic control valves in a drag link that I could have? I don't need one that actually works any longer as I'm looking to duplicate it. There are a lot of us here that could, (and would) use a resonably priced power steering conversion and this part is paramount for operation. If I can replicate the part reasonably it would be made available to active hobbiests but I need a place to start with a donor part so I don't reinvent the wheel. It is actually referred to as an open centered, reaction controlled, spring centered, hydraulic control valve, (fancy ehh)?

I've talked to Garrison which originally manufactured a lot of the valves and they are still available, but for a price that you could feed your family on for about six months.

Jim, (blueknight505 on the board) graciously donated an air-o-matic control valve a few years ago for the same purpose but the way that valve is put together necessitates destruction to take it apart. I couldn't get a good copy made from the internals due to this so made no ground.

If I get a hydraulic unit made, I have another air-o-matic valve with another plan to dissassemble and hopefull be able to make some headway.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi, I think I have one, its got 2 hoses and a strange cylinder set up on the actual drag link from the box to the stub axle.

Grant

Hi, I think I have one, its got 2 hoses and a strange cylinder set up on the actual drag link from the box to the stub axle.

Grant

Hi Grant, the control valve would have four hoses attached to it, (pressure from pump, return to tank, steer left, steer right. This control valve actually mouts to the pitman arm of the steering gear, and the spindle of the drivers side front wheel. Two of the hoses run to the steering cylinder that is usually mount transversly under the truck connecting to the frame, (or mount to a bracket) and the center link that the tie rods are attached to.

It is possible to have a Saginaw type setup which incorporates the valve towards the front of the truck forward of the steering gear pitman arm, and the cylinder mounted to the rear. In this setup, the steering gear is mounted to the frame an the hoses enter/exit the rear of the gear usually upward. There is no separate control valve, it is integral to the steering gear itself.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Grant, the control valve would have four hoses attached to it, (pressure from pump, return to tank, steer left, steer right. This control valve actually mouts to the pitman arm of the steering gear, and the spindle of the drivers side front wheel. Two of the hoses run to the steering cylinder that is usually mount transversly under the truck connecting to the frame, (or mount to a bracket) and the center link that the tie rods are attached to.

It is possible to have a Saginaw type setup which incorporates the valve towards the front of the truck forward of the steering gear pitman arm, and the cylinder mounted to the rear. In this setup, the steering gear is mounted to the frame an the hoses enter/exit the rear of the gear usually upward. There is no separate control valve, it is integral to the steering gear itself.

Thanks,

Rob

Hello, that does sound like it. I just found a pic.. I shall be in Chicago on the July 2nd to. just in time for the july 4th!

heres pic

post-2194-1244297340_thumb.jpg

Hello, that does sound like it. I just found a pic.. I shall be in Chicago on the July 2nd to. just in time for the july 4th!

Looking forward to your visit. That is either a Garrison, or Vickers unit. From the photo I would bet Garrison and exactly what I'm looking for. If you want bring it with you and I'll take it apart, measure it up for replication, rebuild it, and hopefully you could have it back in time to take with you unless surplus to your needs.

Rob

Sounds similar ro the setup that was on my '67 D200. It was manual steering with hydraulic assist. It had a valve of sorts on the drag link and a cylinder on the tie-rod. Turning would open the valve in that direction and the cylinder would assist. It looked like a power stabilizer. It didn't work smooth like conventional power sterring, it was real choppy. The cylinder would push and you would loose the input pressure on the valve then you would have to push again and it would react, wash, rinse, repeat, etc..........

Looking forward to your visit. That is either a Garrison, or Vickers unit. From the photo I would bet Garrison and exactly what I'm looking for. If you want bring it with you and I'll take it apart, measure it up for replication, rebuild it, and hopefully you could have it back in time to take with you unless surplus to your needs.

Rob

will pull it off and clean it up and bring it, that should be interseting going through customs! :) why would you want to put this on a truck? why not convert it to integral power steering with many many turns less from lock to lock. no suicide knob needed that way!

i am also reproducing the left side air cleaner bracket to, for twin air cleaners.

Grant

Sounds similar ro the setup that was on my '67 D200. It was manual steering with hydraulic assist. It had a valve of sorts on the drag link and a cylinder on the tie-rod. Turning would open the valve in that direction and the cylinder would assist. It looked like a power stabilizer. It didn't work smooth like conventional power sterring, it was real choppy. The cylinder would push and you would loose the input pressure on the valve then you would have to push again and it would react, wash, rinse, repeat, etc..........

Yes, it was basically the same system. Your control valve was worn out with internal leakage to present the problems you mention and was common with older equipment. The internal tolerances are very tight on those but unless water has entered the system, a new set of dampener springs, sealing rings, and a couple of dust seals is all that is required for rebuild. All parts run submerged in oil and wear is usually at a minimum internally.

I used to rebuild several per year but you just don't see them any longer since both integral, and rack and pinion steering gears hit mainstream.

Rob

will pull it off and clean it up and bring it, that should be interseting going through customs! :) why would you want to put this on a truck? why not convert it to integral power steering with many many turns less from lock to lock. no suicide knob needed that way!

i am also reproducing the left side air cleaner bracket to, for twin air cleaners.

Grant

I'm actually going to reproduce this valve for use on B models that do not have a separate steering shaft connecting the gear to the steering wheel. I'll get the valve made, and manufacture corresponding ends for the casing that one can "field" retrofit to install correct rod ends into. Then one can install an equalizing hydraulic cylinder, (or dual cylinders) as the fluid displacement has to be equal from left to right, for a reasonably priced power steering retrofit.

Integral power steering can be added to a B model but it is quite a bit of work for the home hobbiest and this would be much easier.

Snap a few good photos of the rt. side air cleaner bracket that you have as I'm wanting to do the same as you on the opposite side. I have lt. side brackets here and we will use them as a pattern if they will work. They are readily available through Donaldson for the lt. side also.

Rob

Interesting. My black galaxie had "power assist" steering when I got it. I pulled it all off, due to the price of rebuilding it and I wasn't really concerned with having it. Didn't want to add another pulley to the front of the motor anyway.

I know that spool valve set up is very critical and like Rob mentioned, it will be jerky if there is slop in the valving. I did sell the complete core set up to a rebuilder that comes to Columbus Ford swap meet every year.

I do have what I think is an original p/s steering pump that bolts to the rear of a generator. Don't know what I'll do with it? Don't have a generator anymore.

I'm actually going to reproduce this valve for use on B models that do not have a separate steering shaft connecting the gear to the steering wheel. I'll get the valve made, and manufacture corresponding ends for the casing that one can "field" retrofit to install correct rod ends into. Then one can install an equalizing hydraulic cylinder, (or dual cylinders) as the fluid displacement has to be equal from left to right, for a reasonably priced power steering retrofit.

Integral power steering can be added to a B model but it is quite a bit of work for the home hobbiest and this would be much easier.

Snap a few good photos of the rt. side air cleaner bracket that you have as I'm wanting to do the same as you on the opposite side. I have lt. side brackets here and we will use them as a pattern if they will work. They are readily available through Donaldson for the lt. side also.

Rob

Hello, its a Garrison part # 2001-10-50

421SK-57

did you get the text message??? :)

you want me to post it? i dont think it be a good idea to bring it in luggage its a bit oily and if it leaks on the plain who knows what they would do!

Hello, its a Garrison part # 2001-10-50

421SK-57

did you get the text message??? :)

you want me to post it? i dont think it be a good idea to bring it in luggage its a bit oily and if it leaks on the plain who knows what they would do!

Hi Grant, I did not see the text message. The numbers will probably do as I've spoken with a gent at Garrison and he will help me with engineer drawings needed.

Thanks for taking the time to research for me.

See you in Chicago!!

Rob

Hi Grant, I did not see the text message. The numbers will probably do as I've spoken with a gent at Garrison and he will help me with engineer drawings needed.

Thanks for taking the time to research for me.

See you in Chicago!!

Rob

Hello, no worries, let me know if you need it, will post it.

will be in chicago from 2nd august, sorting out ticket tomorrow.

my truck chassis is getting sand blasted tomorrow to. time for reassembly. :)

Grant

This is a very old post but I have to ask, did the new 2001-10-50 valve get duplicated?