E7 Fuel Pump

RIPPR

I POSTED A QUESTION YESTERDAY REGARDING E7 FUEL PUMP PART #'S BUT THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT THE FUEL PUMP MAY NOT BE BAD. HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED I WAS DRIVING A ABOUT 65 MPH WHEN I NOTICED BLACK SMOKE FROM MY EXHAUST WHICH I NEVER HAVE AT 65 I PULLED OVER TO CHECK THE TRUCK AND WHEN I STOPPED THE ENGINE SOUNDED LIKE THE JAKE BRAKE WAS ON THEN I NOTICED IT WAS RUNNING ROUGH AND SPUTTERING BILLOWING BLACK SMOKE I MADE SURE THE ENGINE BRAKE WAS NOT ON I EVEN UNPLUGED THEM I MANAGED TO GET THE TRUCK HOME AND PARKED FOR THE NIGHT. IN THE MORNING I WENT OUT TO CHECK THE TRUCK TO SEE IF IT WOULD EVEN START NOT ONLY DID IT START BUT IT RAN GREAT NORMAL NO PROBLEMS. I CHECKED IT OUT EVERYTHING SEEMED FINE. I USED THE TRUCK FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS NO PROBLEM. THIRD MORNING I WENT TO START THE TRUCK IT STARTED BUT WAS BACK TO RUNNING BAD BLACK SMOKE ,SPUTTERING, CHUGGING , RUNNING ROUGH. WELL THATS WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW THE LOCAL MACK DEALER HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA THINKS THE FUEL PUMP IS BAD I THINK IT MAY BE AN ECONOVANCE PROBLEM WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ANY IDEAS

I POSTED A QUESTION YESTERDAY REGARDING E7 FUEL PUMP PART #'S BUT THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT THE FUEL PUMP MAY NOT BE BAD. HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED I WAS DRIVING A ABOUT 65 MPH WHEN I NOTICED BLACK SMOKE FROM MY EXHAUST WHICH I NEVER HAVE AT 65 I PULLED OVER TO CHECK THE TRUCK AND WHEN I STOPPED THE ENGINE SOUNDED LIKE THE JAKE BRAKE WAS ON THEN I NOTICED IT WAS RUNNING ROUGH AND SPUTTERING BILLOWING BLACK SMOKE I MADE SURE THE ENGINE BRAKE WAS NOT ON I EVEN UNPLUGED THEM I MANAGED TO GET THE TRUCK HOME AND PARKED FOR THE NIGHT. IN THE MORNING I WENT OUT TO CHECK THE TRUCK TO SEE IF IT WOULD EVEN START NOT ONLY DID IT START BUT IT RAN GREAT NORMAL NO PROBLEMS. I CHECKED IT OUT EVERYTHING SEEMED FINE. I USED THE TRUCK FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS NO PROBLEM. THIRD MORNING I WENT TO START THE TRUCK IT STARTED BUT WAS BACK TO RUNNING BAD BLACK SMOKE ,SPUTTERING, CHUGGING , RUNNING ROUGH. WELL THATS WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW THE LOCAL MACK DEALER HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA THINKS THE FUEL PUMP IS BAD I THINK IT MAY BE AN ECONOVANCE PROBLEM WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ANY IDEAS

Bro

The econovance will make the truck stumble and smoke blu on startup!If the engine starts and stumbles till the oil preasure comes up then starts to change sound and clean up the econovance is working as it should.I suspect you either have a loose jake sol or somthing!Bad injectors is not out of the question either. If the smoke is truely black .you may have a flapper in a hose blocking air to the engine, turbo may be not turning restricting flo or somthing along those lines.The jake stuck on produces grey blu smoke same as the timing advance!you either have an over fueling condition or and air starvation problem with black smoke.

thanks for the input i will look for air restriction or turbo problems

Let us no what ya find! If yer still having greif post and we'll see if we can help.

I CHECKED FOR AIR RESTRICTION. EVERY THING SEEMS OK. TURBO CHARGER IS OK. JAKE BRAKE SOLINOIDS OK. FUEL INJECTORS OK. IN AN EARLIER RESPONSE FJH EXPLAINED HOW THE ECONOVANCE WORKS WHEN THE OIL PRES COMES UP THE ENGINE CLEARS UP AND RUNS GOOD. IT SEEMS LIKE EVEN AS THE OIL PRESSURE COMES UP THE ENGINE NEVER CLEARS UP. WELL THATS WHERE I AM NOW. THANKS, RIPP

I CHECKED FOR AIR RESTRICTION. EVERY THING SEEMS OK. TURBO CHARGER IS OK. JAKE BRAKE SOLINOIDS OK. FUEL INJECTORS OK. IN AN EARLIER RESPONSE FJH EXPLAINED HOW THE ECONOVANCE WORKS WHEN THE OIL PRES COMES UP THE ENGINE CLEARS UP AND RUNS GOOD. IT SEEMS LIKE EVEN AS THE OIL PRESSURE COMES UP THE ENGINE NEVER CLEARS UP. WELL THATS WHERE I AM NOW. THANKS, RIPP

As far as oil supply line to the econovace, do you have a small steel line from the engine block (below the fuel pump) to the econovance or do you have a larger braided hose(stratoflex) that comes from around the front of the engine around the alternator area to the econovance?

As far as oil supply line to the econovace, do you have a small steel line from the engine block (below the fuel pump) to the econovance or do you have a larger braided hose(stratoflex) that comes from around the front of the engine around the alternator area to the econovance?

Sounds like econovance is not working remove and check the line from the block to the econovance better still replace it!the econovance sol is likly fubar you may need to replace it!To determine if its roasted ground one side of the eonovance wire and put power to the the other if the engine cleans up and sounds diffent then its working there may be some other glitch but I doubt it!.The econovance soliniod is around 500 dollars to buy! Be aware there are two difrent gaskets be sure and take the old one with you to gat the corect one.There is one other thing you can try !There are /where some small screens in some of the ports on the econovance sol block ,remove the 4 bolts holding the sol block on and remover all the allen plugs around the out side of the block and look in the hole check to see that the screens have been removed if they havent been do so and reinstall it to try!

this is a long shot at best cause the engine was running fine one day then not the next then healed it self for a time then back to bad again!