B Model Air Line Suggestions

ajt3138

i have the cab off of the frame and looking for opinions on what to do with the airlines. it looks like a lot of them were cloth covered. were all the lines covered originally? or were some painted? what do you think looks best for a restoration? our main use for this truck will be for local parades, advertising, and etc.

There may be some restrictions on using the original copper air lines.

I don't know that to be a fact so you might want to check with your local DOT

before going any further.

If a vehicle is licensed as an antique or "historical", the restrictions may not apply.

Just a thought -

Paul Van Scott

i dont foresee any reason for the truck to ever come under inspection. just curious as to how different people have finished their airlines on their projects. whether it be stripped and cleared, or painted frame color, or whatever. i assume once the cloth covering has deteriated that you cant replicate that again? i have some lines that the cloth covering is in great shape. my battery cables are cloth covered and although dirty in spots, look really good for originals. my first thought with this truck was to return it as close as i could to original with my limited knowledge capabilities. this is where i welcome advice and/or opinions. :wacko:

Aj,

If your lines and hoses are as good as you say they are then why not set them aside and use them later after your resto work is finished? Some people like plastic some like flex and some like copper or brass. If you are going for broke then the best is as deep as your pocketbook. Colors are a personal choice as some people like Neon Green. Those hoses ought to standup and be seen then.

mi2centsworth B)

mike

Aj,

If your lines and hoses are as good as you say they are then why not set them aside and use them later after your resto work is finished? Some people like plastic some like flex and some like copper or brass. If you are going for broke then the best is as deep as your pocketbook. Colors are a personal choice as some people like Neon Green. Those hoses ought to standup and be seen then.

mi2centsworth B)

mike

mike,

thanks for the advice. it just got me to thinking when part of the lines are still cloth covered and part of them are copper because of deteriation of the cloth. if i was to make everything look the same i would probably strip all the coating off that's left and paint them.

I took all of mine off too but i won,t put them back on, cooper tubing is like cooper wire that turns green and rots, i am putting plastic on and hopefully it will out last me, but thats just me :mack1:

thanks for the different view points.

If you are looking for easy installation and reliability vs. original looks then go with plastic. You could even look for a cloth cover to put on the plastic and give it that look.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

i bet that could be interesting trying to get that cloth onto existing air lines. :wacko:

It is not hard at all. The polyester cloth type is available in a multitude of colors and will stretch over existing fittings, then shrink back to original size. One is basically unable to tell it wasn't placed over the bare tubing, then the fittings added.

The reinforced cotton/asphalt based type that is original to the truck would require the flare fittings be removed as it does not stretch near as much.

The actual name of the product is wire "sleeving"

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I think copper lines are dot legal as long as they are original equipment. I called the cop shop and talked with the DOT cop and he didn't give me a straight answer, but he said if it has an air rating and is DOT approved it is OK. Which like I said makes no sence, but as far as I'm concerned its original and once had a DOT rating!

Hope this helps someone. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob

It is not hard at all. The polyester cloth type is available in a multitude of colors and will stretch over existing fittings, then shrink back to original size. One is basically unable to tell it wasn't placed over the bare tubing, then the fittings added.

The reinforced cotton/asphalt based type that is original to the truck would require the flare fittings be removed as it does not stretch near as much.

The actual name of the product is wire "sleeving"

Rob

thanks, i'll look into some sleeving as an option. its very interesting to find out about the history of how the truck was assembled and what options are available today.

As far as I know copper tubing is still DOT Legal. Last I saw McMaster Carr carried DOT legal copper tubing and fittings but now only appears to sell nylon tubing and fittings. Probably due to demand. You don't see copper because it is expensive and not as easy to run as nylon.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

As far as I know copper tubing is still DOT Legal. Last I saw McMaster Carr carried DOT legal copper tubing and fittings but now only appears to sell nylon tubing and fittings. Probably due to demand. You don't see copper because it is expensive and not as easy to run as nylon.

well i cant hardly see doing anything the easy way! :lol:

I seen a guy use custom aeroquip hose with aeroquip fittings for his IH Transtar. Well it lookd nice and kept it looking factory but he spent big bucks for those lines. Stick with nylon and cover it with cloth. You get the retro look and the cheap, modern easy to use nylon tubing.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

My truck even has some Hydrolic hoses as air lines, Which is bad as far as the cops think, but they are tough as nails. By the time I paint everything they won't know the difference. If anything is said I'm gonna say thats how they used to do it, back when they built TRUCKS. Probably get out of it with a ticket of course.

I prefer nylon because its easy to work with and it almost never fails. Copper (from my experiences) seems to split and or crack in some places due to vibration ect.

Bob

They cant tell you that you can not run a truck because of copper air lines. It was approved at the time of manufacture. I still run a '71 r model everyday and its factory equiped with copper lines. I have never had to replace a copper line in the 20 plus years of ownership and daily use.