Cummins L-10 In A B63 Mack?

Arcticmack

HI all, has anyone Heard of Or know Anyone that has installed a Cummins L10 engine in Place of the thermodyne diesel..

Also does anyone know if the Quadraplex 20spd, Will bolt up to the Cummins bell housing Or what to get to make this work.

I wanna Upgrde to a newer engine that is easyier to get parts for Here. I understand that I will have to refit all mounts and linkages etc etc.. I wanna get beyond that part and see if this thing is doable with my current set up.

Thank you

Regards

Robert.... :mack1:

HI all, has anyone Heard of Or know Anyone that has installed a Cummins L10 engine in Place of the thermodyne diesel..

Also does anyone know if the Quadraplex 20spd, Will bolt up to the Cummins bell housing Or what to get to make this work.

I wanna Upgrde to a newer engine that is easyier to get parts for Here. I understand that I will have to refit all mounts and linkages etc etc.. I wanna get beyond that part and see if this thing is doable with my current set up.

Thank you

Regards

Robert.... :mack1:

In all probabilities you have an SAE #1 flywheel housing on your existing engine, (Thermodyne). An L-10 engine will physically bolt up as long as it has the appropriate SAE #1 clutch housing, the problem is the clutch. If your truck has a single plate clutch, (push type) the input shaft will most likely be incorrect as the L-10 engines that I've seen use a dual plate "pull style" clutch setup.

It can be made to work but you may need a different input shaft for the transmission and they can be expensive and difficult to locate.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

In all probabilities you have an SAE #1 flywheel housing on your existing engine, (Thermodyne). An L-10 engine will physically bolt up as long as it has the appropriate SAE #1 clutch housing, the problem is the clutch. If your truck has a single plate clutch, (push type) the input shaft will most likely be incorrect as the L-10 engines that I've seen use a dual plate "pull style" clutch setup.

It can be made to work but you may need a different input shaft for the transmission and they can be expensive and difficult to locate.

Rob

Hey Rob Thanx for the timely reply, I was wondering then If I was able to get a different Flywheel that would work with the single disk?? I guess thats somthing Im gonnna have to do more searching on to see about finding one. I know these L-10 are really popular, lots of parts,,,etc. but I wonder if I could just need to find the Push type cluch pressure plate, then couldnt I just use the single disk??.. I phisically picked this engine cause of its basic size,almost that of the Thermo. But that leads me to wonder about the other trucks,the b73's etc that have the 855 block cummins in them,? guess there just that much older than these. Ive gotta think some one has done this...

Robert

Hey Rob Thanx for the timely reply, I was wondering then If I was able to get a different Flywheel that would work with the single disk?? I guess thats somthing Im gonnna have to do more searching on to see about finding one. I know these L-10 are really popular, lots of parts,,,etc. but I wonder if I could just need to find the Push type cluch pressure plate, then couldnt I just use the single disk??.. I phisically picked this engine cause of its basic size,almost that of the Thermo. But that leads me to wonder about the other trucks,the b73's etc that have the 855 block cummins in them,? guess there just that much older than these. Ive gotta think some one has done this...

Robert

I'm no expert on the quadraplex by far but I think the input shaft is longer with a dual disk clutch setup.

Hopefully Glenn, or FJH will chime in with some help for you.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Robert

I know the input shafts are different between the dual and single disc clutch. Thus is why i am wanting to find a single disc plate for my single clutch if not then will have to find something else. what do you think, any other ideas?

Here is what i have done and if that is for sure what you want for power then take the mack engine out and with the clutch off off the flywheel get a machinest measure what you need in relation of the mack engine and fylwheel and have them build you a flywheel. I had one built like that and was not that much money. It saved a lot of time looking for a flywheel to find out in the end that there was never one built for it in the first place. Now is the L 10 a after/cooled engine?

glenn akers

Thats a good Idea to get with a machinist,and build one. And as for is it aftercooled, Yes, but its the type that bolts on to the head just like the Older 855 cummins, they all had there own aftercoolers, so does this, so no worries of how to aftercool it, that makes this install no nice. so long as I can get a flywheel, pressure plate,,, I wonder tho, if there is aflat flywheel instead of the Pot type that are common for the dual clutch setups.... hmmmm Ill have to get to looking for one of those. Im sure they made one, that should simplify things if I can get one of those then just use a Mack clutch disk,, err I hope will have to get one and see I guess. Ill check around with the local machine shop and see what they can do for me..

Thank you.

Robert. Ill keep ya all updated. it migh take some time tho,Im starting to build my new shop.

If you are going to work the truck then that single plate plate clutch will not stand up very long. I though that if it had a quadplex trans that if would have had a 2 plate clutch. I i remenber right if it has a single disc then you will have to get the longer shaft and a deeper bell houghing to use a 2 plate clutch.

glenn akers