Strange E7 Oil Leak

post-445-1240533550_thumb.jpegThis is a new one for me. Hopefully one of you guys that are wrenchin on the new stuff can help me out. Here is a weird oil leak on my '03 Granite e7 400 pre egr. It is not coming from the valve cover, it is only wet under the manifold by the lower stud. Are the manifold studs tapped into an oil passage? Well here is a pic of the problem.

The bottom stud hole on the exhaust manifold is drilled all the way into the push tube hole. Oil can leak past the threads, so like fjh said, remove the stud and put some good silicone on it but put it back in at the same depth because we have seen them go in to deep and hit the push tube. I have also seen people put to much silicone on the stud and it gets pushed into the push tube cavity and blocks off oil to the roller lifter or gets between the push tube and lifter and causes a miss in engine. We put the silicone on the stud starting about an 1/4" from the end of the stud.

• Like 1

Boy do I fell Bad on my reply

fjh or Mackpro68 was that all E7's or just E-teck ??????????

I seen a valve seal soak the gasket and leaked like that (I jumped the gun)

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Boy do I fell Bad on my reply

fjh or Mackpro68 was that all E7's or just E-teck ??????????

I seen a valve seal soak the gasket and leaked like that (I jumped the gun)

I dont remember the problem on the older E-7's, I have only seen it happen on the ETECH style engines, including the ASET's.

I dont remember the problem on the older E-7's, I have only seen it happen on the ETECH style engines, including the ASET's.

Ive seen it happen on All 4 valves sixes it was most prevelant on the eteck cause of the larger coarse thread studs.

OK thanks guys

I need to Stand Down, I saw the picture and jump too quick but I have never seen oil on E6 and E7 studs and don't want

to own a e-teck

Stand down Naw!With out input nobody would get things fixed!Ya need to step up to the plate when ever possible!

• Like 1

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...

If you do go ahead and do the job make sure the studs and the stud holes are clean. Reseal the studs with teflon and you should be good to go. Dont drive the studs too deep because the lower studs will contact the pushrods. If you are not sure how deep those studs go measure the old ones before you remove them. 

V

• Like 1
  • Like 1