Dump Body Troubles....

I'm very happy with B-67 i just picked up so far.I bought it with the intensions of making a dump truck out of it(that i need).The major problem is,there's only 8ft of useable frame behind the cab!If i weld on 1ft on the rear of the frame,and don't move the rear back would that be a bad idea???I know it would look weird.Would i be better getting a longer truck???I'm not sure what to do.Any help would be great.

I'm very happy with B-67 i just picked up so far.I bought it with the intensions of making a dump truck out of it(that i need).The major problem is,there's only 8ft of useable frame behind the cab!If i weld on 1ft on the rear of the frame,and don't move the rear back would that be a bad idea???I know it would look weird.Would i be better getting a longer truck???I'm not sure what to do.Any help would be great.

Without actually measuring your wheelbase it's pretty hard to say, but don't get too much overhang of the dump body to the rear of the drive axle or your truck will have too much weight on the drive and not enough weight on the steer axle.

Besides causing problems if you're scaled by the cops, this would also cause the truck to handle poorly as it would always be on the verge of "popping a wheelie".

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Without actually measuring your wheelbase it's pretty hard to say, but don't get too much overhang of the dump body to the rear of the drive axle or your truck will have too much weight on the drive and not enough weight on the steer axle.

Besides causing problems if you're scaled by the cops, this would also cause the truck to handle poorly as it would always be on the verge of "popping a wheelie".

This truck is VERY short,under 16ft long.The engine is partly in the cab,with a small doghouse.I don't have the time,money or garage to lengthen the frame in the mid. section as of now.All the ones i've seen or owned have been 9 or 10ft long,i was shocked when i measured it! :o

This truck is VERY short,under 16ft long.The engine is partly in the cab,with a small doghouse.I don't have the time,money or garage to lengthen the frame in the mid. section as of now.All the ones i've seen or owned have been 9 or 10ft long,i was shocked when i measured it! :o

If you do decide to lengthen the wheelbase, don't cut the frame in the middle!!!!!

The proper way is to add additional rail to the rear of the frame, then move the drive axle/rear suspension rearward to the required wheelbase.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

If you do decide to lengthen the wheelbase, don't cut the frame in the middle!!!!!

The proper way is to add additional rail to the rear of the frame, then move the drive axle/rear suspension rearward to the required wheelbase.

This is turning into a pain in the rear!I had a nice 9ft body lined up for the truck,and thought it'd be a simple bolt on setup. :angry:

This sucks.This is a real clean truck.Most old trucks(newer ones too!) are rusted to hell from the salt around here.Maybe i can find someone to trade this truck for another one??? :huh:

Hey Bigdog

I will check the frame lenght on the 361 Brock that we talked about on 3/29/09. not sure about lenght till i measure.

GreenGiant2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

I measured from about 1.5/2in.'s back from the cab,i have about 8.5ft of frame.Would it be safe to weld on 6-8in.'s of frame and NOT move the rear end back?Also,would 2 inches from the cab be to close for a dump body?Thanks

What is the CA (back of cab to center of axle) of the truck??? It's been awhile since I spec'd a dump. IIRC, you need about 78"-80" for a 9' bed, and about 82"-84" for a 10' bed. I don't think adding on to the back of your frame is going to help. You don't want the bed extending too far beyond your rear axle. Steering will be "squirrelly" at best. Your best bet would be to check with a local body upfitter about CA requirements for the bed length your looking for.

Chris

Findlay, Ohio USA