Newbie Restoring A 63 B75

chrmncowboy

nice truck...looks like you have a lot there to work with... whats in it....

we always like pictures...more pictures..please..

what kind of sleeper?

welcome

It's a Mack 300 engine with an intercooler that I can't figure out how to fit the air intake and the intercooler to the air filter. 60" sleeper on the back, 241"w/b with all new gauges, wiring and air lines among other items. 4.11 Rockwell rears with reyco suspension but don't know the lbs.

post-3313-1235184504_thumb.jpg

post-3313-1235184548_thumb.jpg

Edited by James B

Does anyone have pictures of the air cleaner mounting of a 63 model B75? The air filter in the picture is too tall to fit properly unless I'm doing something wrong which isn't unheard of. Also the inter cooler should have an air filter on it I believe but not sure where that would have been mounted unless it was on the drivers side for that model.

I want to do the most accurate restoration possible with what I have available, some of us young guys haven't gotten that big retirement check just yet :lol:

The doors are getting two new windows installed Monday, then the air cleaners are top priority so it can be fueled and moved. I'm looking into additives for the fuel to use ULSD in these old engines unless there is studies that show no lubricating additives are needed for the fuel system.

Thanks in advance for the help, if anyone's in the neighborhood then you're welcome to stop by because that's why the grill is so close to the truck :lol:

James

Does anyone have pictures of the air cleaner mounting of a 63 model B75? The air filter in the picture is too tall to fit properly unless I'm doing something wrong which isn't unheard of. Also the inter cooler should have an air filter on it I believe but not sure where that would have been mounted unless it was on the drivers side for that model.

I want to do the most accurate restoration possible with what I have available, some of us young guys haven't gotten that big retirement check just yet :lol:

The doors are getting two new windows installed Monday, then the air cleaners are top priority so it can be fueled and moved. I'm looking into additives for the fuel to use ULSD in these old engines unless there is studies that show no lubricating additives are needed for the fuel system.

Thanks in advance for the help, if anyone's in the neighborhood then you're welcome to stop by because that's why the grill is so close to the truck :lol:

James

There's a few different options for you.I'm guessing that you are using a ENDT-676 Maxidyne,which was never put in a B-75 from the factory.When these engines first came out in 1973,the cabovers used 2 air intakes,and the conventionals used a single outlet air cleaner like you have,plus a hood scoop for the intercooler air intake.I've seen that done on B models.You could also mount a second air cleaner on left side to pipe the intercooler thru,seen that done also.I have a hood for a B-75 cut for dual aircleaners,but it's for a L cab.You could also go to a later style(1976 to 1981)air cleaner that had 2 outlets and dual elements,,seen this done on B's also,but it doesn't look very good and requires alot of hood butchering.Best set up I've seen as far as looks and simplicity,find an aircleaner off a R or U model with a 237,these are a little smaller diameter than what you have and fit a B model better.Then use a small filter under the hood for the intercooler.I'm not sure of the manufacturer but there is a small,cone shaped filter you can get that will mount right in the end off an intake tube,maybe some of the racing guys here will know the brand name.

Hope this helps.Good luck.

There's a few different options for you.I'm guessing that you are using a ENDT-676 Maxidyne,which was never put in a B-75 from the factory.When these engines first came out in 1973,the cabovers used 2 air intakes,and the conventionals used a single outlet air cleaner like you have,plus a hood scoop for the intercooler air intake.I've seen that done on B models.You could also mount a second air cleaner on left side to pipe the intercooler thru,seen that done also.I have a hood for a B-75 cut for dual aircleaners,but it's for a L cab.You could also go to a later style(1976 to 1981)air cleaner that had 2 outlets and dual elements,,seen this done on B's also,but it doesn't look very good and requires alot of hood butchering.Best set up I've seen as far as looks and simplicity,find an aircleaner off a R or U model with a 237,these are a little smaller diameter than what you have and fit a B model better.Then use a small filter under the hood for the intercooler.I'm not sure of the manufacturer but there is a small,cone shaped filter you can get that will mount right in the end off an intake tube,maybe some of the racing guys here will know the brand name.

Hope this helps.Good luck.

Thanks for the idea's, I would love to find a picture of the hood scoop on a B model. I want to stay away from butchering the hood and try to make things look as factory as I can. I guess the question that I had about the inter cooler is how many CFM's does the air filter need to handle for it?

I'm sure many people ask how to identify the engine in their truck but I haven't found any type of listing or "directions" of what to look for.

Thanks

Edited by James B

Thanks for the idea's, I would love to find a picture of the hood scoop on a B model. I want to stay away from butchering the hood and try to make things look as factory as I can. I guess the question that I had about the inter cooler is how many CFM's does the air filter need to handle for it?

I'm sure many people ask how to identify the engine in their truck but I haven't found any type of listing or "directions" of what to look for.

Thanks

I have seen someone use one of those cone shaped performance intake filters hooked right on the tip turbine. That might be a problem because your going to suck in hot air from under the hood. But you could move the intake as close to the front or downward to get cooler air.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I have seen someone use one of those cone shaped performance intake filters hooked right on the tip turbine. That might be a problem because your going to suck in hot air from under the hood. But you could move the intake as close to the front or downward to get cooler air.

That's the same idea that I had, just have to reroute the intake hose and find something like a K&N performance filter for it. I still have to find a different air filter for the side of the truck to get the hose to match the hole in the hood for the engine intake.

• 1 year later...