Maxitorque Five Speed

Basil700

Hello,

Im trying to find some information on Mack's 5 speed Maxitorque trans as used in the R series and need some help.

I Need to find a 5 speed Maxitorque O/D trans to put behind a Cummins.

I have no idea on what model trans to look for ?

And have no idea how to tell what im looking at if I do find something ?

What would be the model number for this trans and where would I find the numbers on the case ?

Please excuse my ignorance but I never had much to do with Mack and im struggling. :(

Any help appreciated.

Barry

Hey Bazza!!!!

I Know that theirs a bloke in town that has a whole heap of 5 & 6 speed gear boxes that are gathering dust,

He told me that the same thing is wrong with each of them( so that thay'll need to be fixed before it goes any where, not really much of a help, their should be heaps floating about in WA.

i have been told, and i may have had a look on mine briefly, that there is a place on the left hand side that should have numbers stamped on it etc,

-Monty

• Like 1

Hello, Thanks for the reply and info.

My R767 was originally built with a Maxitorque 5 speed behind the Cummins + a spicer aux box.

I would like to restore it back to its original condition.

Barry

What series of auxillary transmission was behind the Mack trans? I would think a 83XX series at minimum, or a 12XX series preferably.

Sure got a wide spread between upshifts without an auxillary and the Cummins would never be within it's operating parameters.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Howdy All,

Thankyou for the comments.

The truck was built with a direct in 5th maxitorque followed by a spicer 1241-C aux.

I have found a spicer aux box and are looking for an O/D main box to give me a little more speed when running empty.

Barry

Barry, a Maxitorque 5 spd is pretty easy to ID, its a triple countershaft box so when you look at it from the rear it is triangular, flat across the top. Looking at it on the LHS like a passenger in OZ it has 3 sections, i.e. a clutch housing, and a 2 section main case, on the side of the front main case there is a flat area where the model # is stamped, just above that is the Mack logo. The rear case has 'Mack MAXITORQUE TRANSMISSION' cast into it. The model is TRL107 or TRL1076 or TRL1078. It should only have 1 gear lever and nothing else. The model # might only have L107 or L1078 I'm not sure of the changes made to the 5 spd, but you might like to find out if it is about mid 70's or later to suit your era. I think you might look for a TRL1078. If it has an extra case between the clutch housing and the main case, or if it has 2 levers or airshift cylinders it is not a 5 spd. Hope this helps you a bit, Jeff