Why Would A Tractor Have Two Complete Sets Of Gladhands?

Rob

My R795 has two completely separate sets of gladhands mounted into a recess box just in front of the 5th wheel. All four lines have shut off valves on them, and there is air to the rear of the truck also.

Any ideas as to why there would be two sets? They work the same as any conventional set with an emergency, and service supply.

The truck was built for oilfield service.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

So the emergency/supply and service are each tee'd to a pair of glad hands all in the same spot? And it has air to the rear? So you have six glad hands in total? Maybe the truck pulled a goose neck dolly for a lowboy and the dolly and lowboy were separately connected to the truck.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

So the emergency/supply and service are each tee'd to a pair of glad hands all in the same spot? And it has air to the rear? So you have six glad hands in total? Maybe the truck pulled a goose neck dolly for a lowboy and the dolly and lowboy were separately connected to the truck.

if you were in australia i would say for pulling dollies! for road train work. to move your dollie from one trailer to the next or to drag a dollie and trailer around to where ever you need it.

my big question for you guys is why do you call the thing a tractor? dont you use tractors for plowing fields?????

regards Grant

Yes, there are a total of six glad hands. I've never used the trolley valve to see if it should act independent of the foot valve and the cab has been changed prior to my ownership so maybe there was a "tower" installed into the other cab to have different control functions. There is a mess of plastic lines under this truck and relay valves all over it also. Without having an air brake trailer myself, (yet), I've not been able to isolate anything. The brakes work well and the gladhands when hooked to a trailer appear to work well but other than that, I've just started to work with it.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

if you were in australia i would say for pulling dollies! for road train work. to move your dollie from one trailer to the next or to drag a dollie and trailer around to where ever you need it.

my big question for you guys is why do you call the thing a tractor? dont you use tractors for plowing fields?????

regards Grant

Hi Grant, the books all call a "tractor" a pulling unit that is not designed to carry the weight directly upon it but rather supply the tractive force to pull a semi trailer. A truck does not use the same terminology because the load is carried directly on the chassis, also a truck cannot pull a semi trailer, but rather a full trailer. A full trailer which has axles front and rear.

There is more to it than that but that is the gist.

Rob

I have seen glad hands at the back of the frame for pulling oil fiel trailers. Years ago a oil field trailer was dromed to the ground at the nose to drag loads up on it it so you need the front of it clear of air lines. Those trailer had folding legs instead of crank up gears. Some trailers that haul pipe would have the air ines connected to the rear of the frame so the over hang of the load would not get into the air lines. JEEPS AND STINGERS USED THE AIR LINES BACK THERE SOME TIMES>

glenn akers

Yes, there are a total of six glad hands. I've never used the trolley valve to see if it should act independent of the foot valve and the cab has been changed prior to my ownership so maybe there was a "tower" installed into the other cab to have different control functions. There is a mess of plastic lines under this truck and relay valves all over it also. Without having an air brake trailer myself, (yet), I've not been able to isolate anything. The brakes work well and the gladhands when hooked to a trailer appear to work well but other than that, I've just started to work with it.

Thanks,

Rob

I was going to say they might be there for air control of the trailer. dumpers might have it to lock/unlock the tail gate or some bulk/tanker trucks use the air to pressurize the tank to unload quicker. Might be one of those or some other use for controlled air lines.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Hi Grant, the books all call a "tractor" a pulling unit that is not designed to carry the weight directly upon it but rather supply the tractive force to pull a semi trailer. A truck does not use the same terminology because the load is carried directly on the chassis, also a truck cannot pull a semi trailer, but rather a full trailer. A full trailer which has axles front and rear.

There is more to it than that but that is the gist.

Rob

I see, thats where you get it from. it gets a little confusing thats all, as a tractor plows fields down here and a prime mover is what pulls trailers. It tool me ages to get used to calling them tractors when I lived there, I was down in Naperville with the Arnold brothers.

will be back there soon.

regards Grant

I see, thats where you get it from. it gets a little confusing thats all, as a tractor plows fields down here and a prime mover is what pulls trailers. It tool me ages to get used to calling them tractors when I lived there, I was down in Naperville with the Arnold brothers.

will be back there soon.

regards Grant

When you get back to Naperville, look me up at 309-219-2070 and we will get together and swap lies for a spell. My son lives up in that area and I'm about 175 miles south.

Rob

I have seen glad hands at the back of the frame for pulling oil fiel trailers. Years ago a oil field trailer was dromed to the ground at the nose to drag loads up on it it so you need the front of it clear of air lines. Those trailer had folding legs instead of crank up gears. Some trailers that haul pipe would have the air ines connected to the rear of the frame so the over hang of the load would not get into the air lines. JEEPS AND STINGERS USED THE AIR LINES BACK THERE SOME TIMES>

We had a couple of jeeps, we called them "joe dogs", and the tractor glad hands connected to the jeep, and the jeep had separate hoses and glad hands to connect to the dolly with shut off valves on them.

I think it's for pulling doubles. Before they figured out you could pull one trailer behind another one, they used a pintle hook with a spreader bar to pull two trailers side by side. Thus, 2 sets of glad hands. 3 for pulling triples, obviously. This set-up was only used for a short period of time, as the problems with pulling 2 or 3 trailers side by side were many. And you couldn't see a thing in your mirrors. :rolleyes:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

We had a couple of jeeps, we called them "joe dogs", and the tractor glad hands connected to the jeep, and the jeep had separate hoses and glad hands to connect to the dolly with shut off valves on them.

I think it's for pulling doubles. Before they figured out you could pull one trailer behind another one, they used a pintle hook with a spreader bar to pull two trailers side by side. Thus, 2 sets of glad hands. 3 for pulling triples, obviously. This set-up was only used for a short period of time, as the problems with pulling 2 or 3 trailers side by side were many. And you couldn't see a thing in your mirrors. :rolleyes:

Tom,

Are you sure about this?

If they had triples side by side - did they only use Interstate four lanes?

Seems like toll booths might have been a challenge too.

You might have been outside in the cold too long.

Thanks,

Rob

rob the two glad hands at the 5th wheel might have been for lift axle (air up) and (air down) if it is oilfield the ones on the back of the frame might have been for a pole trailer to move derek of oil rig

Tom,

Are you sure about this?

You might have been outside in the cold too long, or an underlying attack of lunacy may have befallen you.

This of course is the resultant of the foolhardy attempt to achieve a 75mph cruise speed in a Pete, a.k.a. "no mans land".

Ooooohhhh, I have no comment.

Rob

When you get back to Naperville, look me up at 309-219-2070 and we will get together and swap lies for a spell. My son lives up in that area and I'm about 175 miles south.

Rob

Hello, will do, I should hopefully be there in a couple of months.

regards Grant

Tom,

Are you sure about this?

If they had triples side by side - did they only use Interstate four lanes?

Seems like toll booths might have been a challenge too.

You might have been outside in the cold too long.

yes, like I said, there were many problems with this setup.

yes, like I said, there were many problems with this setup.

Well, I'll be... It sure seems that our pathological bullshitter had a fleeting moment of seriousness to his post......

I can only imagine the problems this setup would present.

Rob

Well, I'll be... It sure seems that our pathological bullshitter had a fleeting moment of seriousness to his post......

I can only imagine the problems this setup would present.

Rob

whew!..fortunately I got over it quickly. Uhhh, by the way- ain't that a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black?

And, one more thing- I didn't see that in Paul's original post, are you putting words in his mouth? Just be careful, Paul can git mean...real mean (you know-New York...no telling who he might know. Some scary people i'm sure). I'd get a guard dog if I were you. Just pick a breed that doesn't taste good. :lol:

whew!..fortunately I got over it quickly. Uhhh, by the way- ain't that a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black?

And, one more thing- I didn't see that in Paul's original post, are you putting words in his mouth? Just be careful, Paul can git mean...real mean (you know-New York...no telling who he might know. Some scary people i'm sure). I'd get a guard dog if I were you. Just pick a breed that doesn't taste good. :lol:

Paul is a good guy just like the rest of us; We are all out for a bit of fun however it is achieved.

Dogs no matter what the breed are good on a spit after scraped from the road in winter. Best left for natural sunlight to do the cooking during summer in the name of energy conservation.

Rob

Dogs no matter what the breed are good on a spit after scraped from the road in winter. Best left for natural sunlight to do the cooking during summer in the name of energy conservation.

Rob

Yeah and lately they are pre salted and really crunchy!!!!!!!

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????