Water Filter

b61fred

I am working on installing a 237 into my B, I can't find a part number for the coolant filter on this engine, the normal sized filter is far to small. The filter threads on to a boss between the fan and the coolant manifold. It is about the same diam. as the oil filter. The engine is about a 78 model year acording to the casting dates on the block. It also had the extended service interval oil pan and three oil filters, I dont know if this makes a difference on the coolant filter. Thanks for any help

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

I am working on installing a 237 into my B, I can't find a part number for the coolant filter on this engine, the normal sized filter is far to small. The filter threads on to a boss between the fan and the coolant manifold. It is about the same diam. as the oil filter. The engine is about a 78 model year acording to the casting dates on the block. It also had the extended service interval oil pan and three oil filters, I dont know if this makes a difference on the coolant filter. Thanks for any help

Fred

I've got the same style on an E6-350 at the shop. It has a Fram filter installed. I'll relay the numbers tonight if someone else hasn't by then.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Fred

Since it is not the original engine in your chassis, you should be able to take the engine number to your local dealer to get any filters you need. If not try to use the chassis number from the donor truck.The complete filter kit should still be available for the 237. I find that the complete kit from Mack is generally the least expensive way to buy filters anyway. Macks use the same filters for many years up until the E7/E-TECH went to metric threads with a stripe on the filters. Extended service interval don't matter for water filters; the only different water filter is for extended life coolant(pink)

Since it is not the original engine in your chassis, you should be able to take the engine number to your local dealer to get any filters you need. If not try to use the chassis number from the donor truck.The complete filter kit should still be available for the 237. I find that the complete kit from Mack is generally the least expensive way to buy filters anyway. Macks use the same filters for many years up until the E7/E-TECH went to metric threads with a stripe on the filters. Extended service interval don't matter for water filters; the only different water filter is for extended life coolant(pink)

You are very correct on sourcing the filters through a Mack dealer. To use Carquest branded filters is near twice the cost for the same filters.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

hi,

I went to the mack dealer and they sold me baldwin filters... I have used them before and I liked the brand. I planed to use these filters to break in the engine to the truck and at restoration time install mack filters.

Fred

The Mack dealer is open on the holiday? Why am I at work then?

Cause I'm still fixxing broken plumbing from the recent freeze we've had round here.

Rob

Fred

MACK PART #25MF436B FRAM PART#PR3433

Baldwin makes a good filter, I have it on my 237 and we've run them for years on Macks with much luck. The frams on the other hand are IMHO, junk. We've never had luck and a few guys I know had nothing but problems with them as far as filtering of fluids. Baldwins work for us so that’s what we go with. I know that the original question has nothing to do with preference but filters are just as important as the oil in the motor. Use a sub-par product expect sub-par durability and performance.

Thanks for the help, I went with the Baldwin filter. it cost me 12 bucks. I cant use the mack boxed filters because I am using the B-model fuel filter.

Fred

baldwin and hastings filters have merged or something like that. weve used hastings for years.never a problem............

Where can the Baldwin filters be purchased at, so I can buy my first filters for my B61 with 672P

Thanks

mike

almost any heavy truck parts suppliers can get Baldwin filters. It is true that Hastings is the parent of Baldwin. Both good brands in my opinion.

Rob

Rob, I agree about the Hastings products. Have used them for many years for autos. But is it cheaper to go with Mack Dealer? I have the B model fuel filter same as Fred.

mike

I can't give an honest answer on a cartridge type insert filter available from a Mack dealer for a Luberfiner series of filter. I am only familiar with the spin on type filters currently available. Yes, I have found the dealer to be much less expensive for a complete filter change kit than can be bought over the counter at a parts store.

Rob

Rob, I agree about the Hastings products. Have used them for many years for autos. But is it cheaper to go with Mack Dealer? I have the B model fuel filter same as Fred.

mike

Just stocked up on filter kits at Mack. $53.87 for the metric kit including 6 filters (3 oil, 2 fuel, 1 water) Still a bargain for factory branded filters, IMHO.