98 Midliner Rearend

ktensen

Hi, everyone. I am new to the site so I will make it short.

I have just purchased a 98 Midliner MS200 with a bad rearend. I wanted to replace the whole rear instead of just the gear set.

The problem is, I am have a hard time finding a used one. Not many people around here (Central VA) can tell me much about the Renault rearend.

Does anyone out there know what years will fit my truck?

It has 4:56 gears and the part number I got from a local mechanic and the part number 4103-5600-545461.

I will be willing to use a more usable gear ratio or even a two speed if I could make it work.

Thanks for any help.

Hi, everyone. I am new to the site so I will make it short.

I have just purchased a 98 Midliner MS200 with a bad rearend. I wanted to replace the whole rear instead of just the gear set.

The problem is, I am have a hard time finding a used one. Not many people around here (Central VA) can tell me much about the Renault rearend.

Does anyone out there know what years will fit my truck?

It has 4:56 gears and the part number I got from a local mechanic and the part number 4103-5600-545461.

I will be willing to use a more usable gear ratio or even a two speed if I could make it work.

Thanks for any help.

I would use an Eaton, or Rockwell rear axle under the truck. That Renault axle is expensive to work with, especially the planetary reduction ones. I'm surprised it gave trouble unless run low on lubricant.

The frame spacing is pretty standard, (34") and axels are readily available in the ratio you would like with the 335mm bolt circle to retain the wheels.

If you use another axle be sure to annotate it's information someplace for when you need brake parts etc. as the vin number lookup will be of no use any longer for the rear end.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I would use an Eaton, or Rockwell rear axle under the truck. That Renault axle is expensive to work with, especially the planetary reduction ones. I'm surprised it gave trouble unless run low on lubricant.

The frame spacing is pretty standard, (34") and axels are readily available in the ratio you would like with the 335mm bolt circle to retain the wheels.

If you use another axle be sure to annotate it's information someplace for when you need brake parts etc. as the vin number lookup will be of no use any longer for the rear end.

Rob

Thanks Rob.

I know so little about the truck. You don't think I will have trouble getting the springs to line up also, the brakes are air over hydraulic. Any issues changing out the standard air brakes to work with the system already on the truck?

Thanks Rob.

I know so little about the truck. You don't think I will have trouble getting the springs to line up also, the brakes are air over hydraulic. Any issues changing out the standard air brakes to work with the system already on the truck?

You have an MS-250 series of truck. You could look for a axle from a medium duty IH chassis, (1700 or 4700 series) as both had hydraulic brakes. The air over hydraulic operation is not handled by the axle but rather on the truck. The brakes at the axle are operated the same as something with conventional hydraulic brakes. On your frame up by the cab will be a hydraulic master cylinder with an air assist assembly on the front of it. When you push on the brake pedal, the air assist pushes on the master cylinder causing hydraulic pressure in the brakes. Not a bad system as it takes very little foot pressure to stop a heavy load and is not as expensive as a complete air brake system.

Any installer can move the spring mount perches on the axle to where you need them. Mine were 40 inches center of spring to center of spring. The frame width was 34 inches which is very standard.

Most any salvage yard that deals with trucks should be able to set you up appropriately. Ensure that your replicate your drive pinion angle(s).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You have an MS-250 series of truck. You could look for a axle from a medium duty IH chassis, (1700 or 4700 series) as both had hydraulic brakes. The air over hydraulic operation is not handled by the axle but rather on the truck. The brakes at the axle are operated the same as something with conventional hydraulic brakes. On your frame up by the cab will be a hydraulic master cylinder with an air assist assembly on the front of it. When you push on the brake pedal, the air assist pushes on the master cylinder causing hydraulic pressure in the brakes. Not a bad system as it takes very little foot pressure to stop a heavy load and is not as expensive as a complete air brake system.

Any installer can move the spring mount perches on the axle to where you need them. Mine were 40 inches center of spring to center of spring. The frame width was 34 inches which is very standard.

Most any salvage yard that deals with trucks should be able to set you up appropriately. Ensure that your replicate your drive pinion angle(s).

Rob

Thanks for you help Rob. Have a good Holiday.

Keith

How far do you want to travel to get one, there is a local parts yd that i drive by that just got a couple of later ones in, i can stop by and see how much, they are in South eastern Ohio south of Zanesville, or i will give you the number :mack1: ( PS i know this sucks but i just scraped one last summer

How far do you want to travel to get one, there is a local parts yd that i drive by that just got a couple of later ones in, i can stop by and see how much, they are in South eastern Ohio south of Zanesville, or i will give you the number :mack1: ( PS i know this sucks but i just scraped one last summer

Southern Ohio isn't that far, If you have the # I will give them a call (no need for you to go out of your way). I have a local yard that is in the process of tearing down an IH 4700 so I may be in luck on that end but, if I can find a direct replacment, I would rather go with it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just an update. I think I may have found a rearend locally here near Roanoke. This guy has a ton of Macks and the license plate of his pickup is 1MACKMAN. The question is, the brakes on the rear I found are supposedly air only. I have not had a chance to check my backing plate to see but, can the air only?? brakes be changed with the air over hydraulics on my current rear with little modification. I know many people on this site are not fans of the "French" Macks but, I finally got a Mack (foreign or not) and I need to get'er fixed.

Also, the question was raised by another local yard about the IH1700 & 4700 rear had either a cable activated parking brake or a transmission parking brake. They thought that it would be way too much trouble to retrofit the rear in mine. I have an air parking brake at rear.

Thanks for any help.

P.S the name of the yard is Walker's Used Trucks and Parts, 540-365-7144. I dealt with Billy Walker today and he was great. We rode around in the 3 day rain mud in his frame broke Nissan PU and it went everywhere. He went to each of the dozen or so midliners he had and showed me everyone.

He also has some 2008 Macks that are cab and chasis only trucks that the Government took out the running gear and lights our and put them on different bodies to make them mine-sweepers. (Can't believe we are buying Scandinavian trucks to strip down and use overseas but, the Gov. must be smarter than me)

Anyway, thanks for any help.