Question Yall Bout Converting From Hand Parking Brake To Spring Brakes

bulldog man

My B422T HAS AIR BRAKES BUT THE Parking brake was a hand brake this was long gone (since i was bout 6yrsold now pushing 31, gramps & dad kept a scoth block in truck to park with :o question is do i just change chambers out or redo the whole brake system ?

Any help is gratefull :thumb:

yall have a safeone

Bulldog

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Hi Guy, I did it years ago on my B61 single axle but I had it easy. The trucks got a big (40,000 lbs.) Eaton 2 speed rear so the spring set air release chambers fit no problem. I pulled the originals that I used off an old Great Dane trailer. With Mack rears it's trickier to see what chambers will fit. Installing a valve in the dash is easy, just find a good spot, run a supply line to it and then lines back to the release ports on the chambers. The service side of the chambers remains the same but finding one that'll fit your rear (or rears) might be tricky.

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

If you have the small Mack piston style chambers the only out is to build some offset mounting adapters and get soem slacks with offset arms. Years ago you could buy those offset brackets and some hokey offsets for the slacks also. If you are lucky and have regular diaphram chambers now [fat chance probably] the spring pots should fit OK.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!