Rear Diff Gaskets

HeyCharger

Hi Guys. Lets hope I can explain this clearly.

My bogie drive has top mounted diffs.

I notice that the gaskets that are between the upper and lower housing assemblies have become brittle and are working loose, breaking off and therefore causing oil leaks. (After all, they are quite a few years old)

Is there an easy way to replace these gaskets (ie can you just jack up the upper housing?).

Someone has suggested that I just give it a good clean and use a silicone sealant without taking anything apart.

Suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks. Rod.

:chili::chili::chili:

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Hey Rod,

I talked to one of our knowledgeable guys here at PAI and we first of all thought you better not go with that suggestion about putting hucky-puck around the outside of your leak!!! However, you can try to jack the housing up far enough to at least scrape and clean the surfaces thouroughly and then apply a nice bead of sealant without taking the axles out. If it doesn't look like it would move enough then the axles would probably have to come out. Also, it might be an o-ring and to replace that (or a gasket) the diff would have to move about a foot out of the housing.

Let us know, good luck Jim T.

Yes, Jim is right...clean all the old crap out from the mating surfaces and use a light bead of silastic to seal it up. Mack does not offer a gasket anymore.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Yes, Jim is right...clean all the old crap out from the mating surfaces and use a light bead of silastic to seal it up. Mack does not offer a gasket anymore.

There are none available in the aftermarket that I've been able to locate either. They have been obsoleted.

This applies to Victor/Reinz, Fel-Pro, and McCord, and Detroit Gasket.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Guys. Lets hope I can explain this clearly.

My bogie drive has top mounted diffs.

I notice that the gaskets that are between the upper and lower housing assemblies have become brittle and are working loose, breaking off and therefore causing oil leaks. (After all, they are quite a few years old)

Is there an easy way to replace these gaskets (ie can you just jack up the upper housing?).

Someone has suggested that I just give it a good clean and use a silicone sealant without taking anything apart.

Suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks. Rod.

:chili::chili::chili:

Did you try tighten all the bolts including the two that are inside the cover on the top right side? You will probably have to cut/bend some box wrenches to fit on them.

Joe

Thanks Guys for your input.

Yes, I've tightened all the bolts, but because some of the gasket has already broken away in places, all the tightening in the world still leaves gaps.

I think I will try to separate the two halves, scrape out all the old gaskest, then place some sealer in before tightening again.

Thanks again for your comments and help. Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck