Egr fault mass flow to high

I'm hitting temps in 10 minutes, dpf dp is .490 max. I inspected the dpf and doc, blew them down and and replaced all the clamps and gaskets 2 weeks ago. Mine went the other way, egr valve first. Came back with same code, replaced the egr venturi with the plastic 1 piece and a new sensor, and the temp sensor because the wiring had chuffed bare. 

Is there a software update when replacing the venturi? I can check software lvl tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it's been updated within a year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdixon said:

I'm hitting temps in 10 minutes, dpf dp is .490 max. I inspected the dpf and doc, blew them down and and replaced all the clamps and gaskets 2 weeks ago. Mine went the other way, egr valve first. Came back with same code, replaced the egr venturi with the plastic 1 piece and a new sensor, and the temp sensor because the wiring had chuffed bare. 

Is there a software update when replacing the venturi? I can check software lvl tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it's been updated within a year.

That all sounds good actually.  Good that you got the new EGR sensor on there. What’s your spot level dropping to? 

When testing the egr valve everything works exactly like the test procedure says it should. With a cold engine opening the egr valve nearly stalls the motor, turbo speed starts >40k drops to <5k fast.

Just now, Mackpro said:

That all sounds good actually.  Good that you got the new EGR sensor on there. What’s your spot level dropping to? 

Soot level drops 20% every regen. Started at 140 or so. Ash level reads 0.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mdixon said:

Not many software updates come out for the older trucks so if you had it updated within the last year it’s probably has the newest software in it. If you had Tech Tool  you could do a “learned data reset “  so the ECM could learn the new sensors.  Also re-set the “ Adaptive Factor “ for the 7th injector when they are replaced or cleaned . 

2 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

Not many software updates come out for the older trucks so if you had it updated within the last year it’s probably has the newest software in it. If you had Tech Tool  you could do a “learned data reset “  so the ECM could learn the new sensors.  Also re-set the “ Adaptive Factor “ for the 7th injector when they are replaced or cleaned . 

I did a reset with the bosch tool. Adaptive value was at 1 and wouldn't allow a reset. 

That TSB on the connector pins sounds like a possibility

You'd think soot level would drop to zero after a successful regen, I only blew it out with shop air. Definitely not a real cleaning lol. Damn thing looked great too, no melts, missing squares. Doc wasn't sooted up either. Visible inlet, no cracks or evidence of overheating.

59 minutes ago, mdixon said:

You'd think soot level would drop to zero after a successful regen, I only blew it out with shop air. Definitely not a real cleaning lol. Damn thing looked great too, no melts, missing squares. Doc wasn't sooted up either. Visible inlet, no cracks or evidence of overheating.

Sometimes you just never get them to zero . I’ve done good hot regens and only got them into the low 30%. Trick is how much they rise after a few hours of driving. Sometimes the soot level will jump up a lot in the first 15-20 miles of driving and then a super slow crawl  rise . I’ve left the shop at 20-25% soot and in 15 miles it jumped to 45%  and was normal. Now after my 40 mile test drive if I was above 65-70%  ( and I’ve hit 100 +% in 20 miles before) I would pull the filter and have it cleaned and check turbo, EGR system and boost leaks . 

Edited by Mackpro

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, showed up yesterday. Temps went over 900 for 10 minutes, then stopped. Soot dropped to 104 from 144. No Codes showed up. It was raining yesterday, all codes popped yesterday except the egr code and that was from when I had it last. Everything is cleared now, running another regen.

Edited by mdixon

In my notes for your model . The fuel doseing rate should be between 5% to 19% to be normal. Your is at 12% which is perfect. 22-29% usually mean clogged 7th injector. This is only for your year model. Other years are much higher. With the key on/engine off , what is your EGR differential pressure? And also what is the DPF differential pressure reading key on/engine off? 

• Like 1