Typical Regen for you

You can check this valve by taking the egr pipe off up by the intake manifold or wherever is easiest and put your hand over it to see how much flow. You will feel a little but if it’s a lot it’s bad. You can put a glove on it and if it fills up quick and pops pretty quick it’s bad. They can also burn out coolers or plug them up. 

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling

Like to hear what others have to say as well. Not to many MP guys on here, pretty much Joey Mack, FJH, Vmac3, and Mackpro for the most part. May be forgetting some others but they are the most active. You seem pretty smart and seem to be doing a nice job! I might as well add you to that list. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Onyx610
Forgot V

You are too Kind, Onyx..  Truth is...   I ran away from MP engines years ago..  I did'nt look back to see if they were gaining, I just RAN !!..  I truly have forgotten a lot about diagnostics on the E.A.T.S. and E.G.R. issues..  I do remember the glove test, 👍..  You are smarter than you realize on these MP's..    Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

You are too Kind, Onyx..  Truth is...   I ran away from MP engines years ago..  I did'nt look back to see if they were gaining, I just RAN !!..  I truly have forgotten a lot about diagnostics on the E.A.T.S. and E.G.R. issues..  I do remember the glove test, 👍..  You are smarter than you realize on these MP's..    Jojo

Thanks bud, you still know enough about them to be dangerous haha. Nah you know more then what you WANT to know about them. Don’t let him fool you mdixon he’s good with them. E7/Etech is no doubt his forte. 

5 minutes ago, mdixon said:

I'm really waiting for someone to blow one so I can pull the engine and do a stand rebuild. They all have over 500k in the fleet, and most are over 30% idle time.

Haha, never done that. I would like too. A lot of specialty tools and service manuals. Guys do manage to do with out them though. Not sure how long they last…Most people hate these engines, but I happen to like them. 

Edited by Onyx610

do you have the essential tools to do the build?   ie: cam timing tool,  rear cover hold downs,  main seal installers, barring tool,   heck I'm loosing track...  anyway, get prepared, and dont  be scared...  jojo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

do you have the essential tools to do the build?   ie: cam timing tool,  rear cover hold downs,  main seal installers, barring tool,   heck I'm loosing track...  anyway, get prepared, and dont  be scared...  jojo

We have a full shop, and it wouldn't be the first time I've made tools for a job. I was OSM for a commercial shipyard before covid, making tools and doing the impossible was just another day at work.

• Like 1

Also you guys should look into premium tech tool. Strictly for volvo/Mack. You then get truck portal and you give them your truck vins and you can go on and get all the parts diagrams/numbers, service bulletins, service manuals, specifications/values, etc. for each truck. There is also online classes on there you can take for every single part of the truck. Brakes, engine, trans, suspension, etc. I think once you pass soo many of them you can go to their classes if you want. But there is a ton of online stuff you can do for free. I just started messing with it and started at the beginning with theory on oil haha. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onyx610 said:

Also you guys should look into premium tech tool. Strictly for volvo/Mack. You then get truck portal and you give them your truck vins and you can go on and get all the parts diagrams/numbers, service bulletins, service manuals, specifications/values, etc. for each truck. There is also online classes on there you can take for every single part of the truck. Brakes, engine, trans, suspension, etc. I think once you pass soo many of them you can go to their classes if you want. But there is a ton of online stuff you can do for free. I just started messing with it and started at the beginning with theory on oil haha. 

Boss doesn't wanna be pigeon holed, trust me I've gone that route. We have soon many vehicles to deal with, including off road and stationary.

Mostly propulsion  and steering in my department, but I was a pipe fighter, welder, steel worker, mechanic, rigger...

I did a ton of shaft and bearing work, pulling on chain falls and running jacking setups to pull 12" bearing, 20' shafts, 5000lb propellers, you name it and we did it.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 3:16 PM, Joey Mack said:

You and me both bro! leave my name out of it!  I also fit into the category of enough to be dangerous when it come to the MP emission stuff!  my knowledge is observation  based!  I hardly turned a wrench on this junk! I have basics only knowledge !  Vmac3, and Mackpro these are the guys working daily with it the shit and programing and specs  change every 5 minutes! If You need to know nitty gritys these the guys you can count on! I do comment on it from time to time when I see I can add something of relevance!

• Like 1

OK,  your out..  :)  I just like to brag on you..  Screw these Volvo P.O.S's.....  It is killing small truckers and hurting those that have money to TRY to stay afloat..  I will be more cautious going forward..   jojo

• Thanks 1

Yup, i did find out today that our good buddy Vmac3 is a very good professor for Mack/Volvo in Toronto. Worked a lot of years busting his ass at the dealership and is now a teacher at institute sponsored by Mack/Volvo teaching kids the CORRECT way. 

Edited by Onyx610

15 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

OK,  your out..  :)  I just like to brag on you..  Screw these Volvo P.O.S's.....  It is killing small truckers and hurting those that have money to TRY to stay afloat..  I will be more cautious going forward..   jojo

I appreciate the compliment how ever I always try to post a disclaimer I am not a Guru on the subject! I do consider vmac and pro more in touch on this subject and have Guru status in my mind! Wether they want to admit it or not😇

• Haha 2