Typical Regen for you

So I do the emissions work at the farm, and as such I tend to do a lot of forced regens and data logging. This is the best heat I've had all week.

How about you? What do you look for in a regen before deciding to take a closer look? I'm not a mack mechanic, nor do I have any formal training. It's all been learned I  the seat or from whatever I can get my hands on.

Edited by mdixon

Volvo/mack I think uses cummins DPF components so you know one DPF system you know just about all of them. Detroits are a bit different but same basic concept. 

I have a basic understanding of cat's and cummins system but never worked on one. Do mack's use an 8th injector or do they use the engine injectors to inject fuel into the exhaust stroke? 

25 minutes ago, BOBWhite said:

Volvo/mack I think uses cummins DPF components so you know one DPF system you know just about all of them. Detroits are a bit different but same basic concept. 

I have a basic understanding of cat's and cummins system but never worked on one. Do mack's use an 8th injector or do they use the engine injectors to inject fuel into the exhaust stroke? 

Ours have a "denoxtronic" system, whatever that is. Maybe bosch? They use an exhaust mounted HCI to create heta for the regen.

1 hour ago, BOBWhite said:

Yea, they use the After-treatment Hydrocarbon Injector AHI/7th injector. 

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling
  • Like 1

Those gaskets suck on the hot pipe! We just talked about a tool to make to test the system before putting it back together in the one thread you posted pics of the n14. However those should not affect regen temps as egr valve should be closed at regen. 

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

It’s a def supply module. Takes fluid from tank and pressurizes it. 

Do they have an electric Def pump or do they use onboard air to pressurize it like the old systems? And oops I meant 7th injector, I don't know what I was thinking 

Got this idea from Mackpro/FJH, mine is just different than theirs. It’s a piece of egr cooler hose, a pvc cap, and air fitting threaded in it and epoxied. Stick it on the cold side of cooler and put 40psi of regulated air to it and you can check for exhaust leaks up to the valve and or check to see if valve is open. Also check for cooler coolant leaks. That way you don’t have to keep taking the diffuser pipe off and fighting with all the other shit. 

image.jpeg.77805cae74d1b64b9de170a6c2e94092.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Those gaskets suck on the hot pipe! We just talked about a tool to make to test the system before putting it back together in the one thread you posted pics of the n14. However those should not affect regen temps as egr valve should be closed at regen. 

They also cause boost leaks, which pisses off the computer with a drv 

11 minutes ago, BOBWhite said:

Do they have an electric Def pump or do they use onboard air to pressurize it like the old systems? And oops I meant 7th injector, I don't know what I was thinking 

Engine fuel supply, so engine fuel pressure. These have air mixing tees on the injectors, but it's regulated to 30psi so half of running fuel pressure during regen

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mdixon said:

They also cause boost leaks, which pisses off the computer with a drv 

Haven’t seen that yet, interesting. Either way no egr flow doing regen. That will cause a big boost leak/loss of heat. 

44 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Got this idea from Mackpro/FJH, mine is just different than theirs. It’s a piece of egr cooler hose, a pvc cap, and air fitting threaded in it and epoxied. Stick it on the cold side of cooler and put 40psi of regulated air to it and you can check for exhaust leaks up to the valve and or check to see if valve is open. Also check for cooler coolant leaks. That way you don’t have to keep taking the diffuser pipe off and fighting with all the other shit. 

image.jpeg.77805cae74d1b64b9de170a6c2e94092.jpeg

Should there be any leakage by the egr valve at all? I made one of these with a pvc bushing and some threaded pipe adapters and every egr valve leaks that I've tested. I didn't test the brand new one that left the shop last week though.