E6 torque specs

Gravelguy413

12 hours ago, Gravelguy413 said:

Is there any difference in the pump, turbo or injectors or anything else when an engine is spec’d to come with an auto tranny as compared to one spec’d with a standard ?

I doubt the engine you describe would work great with a 5 speed.  Needs  transmission with some gears and depending on weight maybe even a thought about axle ratio

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

I doubt the engine you describe would work great with a 5 speed.  Needs  transmission with some gears and depending on weight maybe even a thought about axle ratio

350 is Econodye! It needs a multi speed trans to work properly ! They commonly came with a 12 speed in our neck of the woods! If you had a 285 Maxidyne you can get away with less gears as the Maxidyne has a huge working range!The 350 has a two stage aftercooled Coolant at the top ! 285 had Air to air only I believe! Never seen it offered any other way! You could swap parts and use the Chassis charge air !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Totally open to correction on this

I believe this motor is still a Thermodyne

Econodyne was a 4 valve chassis mount intercooled motor

It may also depend on the part of the world each of us is from as to what we call them 

Paul

All good  Paul you could be correct not sure on that either! Glenn ……..?

not to sure maybe it's me; seems this forum is going a little off topic AND I DIDN'TDO IT THIS TIME !!LOL looking back original question was asking torque specs; now question  is engine swapping in a fire truck. is this a fire truck going for repower?  modify air intake and leave tip turbine assy on. not for horsepower change but for a radical fire truck. also notice the fire truck is an allison trans.

• Thanks 1

Was thinking of replacing my em7-300 mechanical which is getting tired with a low hour e6 350 2 valve because I also picked up a 12 speed for my truck. I understand that I would need different axle ratio which is currently 5.73. Wanted to leave original chassis CAC in my truck and not use that tip turbine thing. My original question about torque was that I was wondering if I would notice the difference in hauling loads both on and off road with the e6 which has less torque and different power band than em7. Also are engines set up with autos the same as engines set up with standard trannys? I assume they would be but anybody know?

When Macks had grey engines in them, they had a pretty good idea of what would work together for the trucks application.  Some stuff will go together in other configurations and some won't. Grey engines either had a wide torque band or a little higher horsepower ( one or the other )  the "torquey" ones often found their way into vocational trucks (mixers dumps) and had some form of extended range transmission. The higher HP ones usually went into road tractors that needed HP to maintain road speed and usually had transmissions with multiple gears for on road ( anywhere from 9 up ) Sorta a  generalization ,but might help your decision 

• Like 1

I bought an engine for my B-61 that was sold to me as a 283. After clean up and painting, I had removed the pump to fix an oil leak behind it and paint the block so, while there I used steel wool to clean up the ID plate. Turns out it is a 1980, E6-350 (2 valve). I know I looked it up and found a spec of 1250 ft torque @ 1250 RPM. I may have got that right off the ID plate or somewhere else, I do not recall but that is what I found. 

Edited by Licensed to kill

Decisions……..decisions. With the T2070 seems like I’m either going 35 or 55. Hate the big jump. With the OD of a 12 speed and 5.73 rears would need to turn pump up to get more rpm’s for some highway speed. Would reworking the pump for more rpm’s change how it fuels in the lower rpm’s? I like how this thing lugs right now 

5.73 with a OD 12 speed will give you about 55 MPH on the governor if you are on 11r 22's 

5.73 was a common road train gear even with a E9 at 500 HP, but you are shifting 200,000 pounds plus all day every day 

As to a 350 in 1980, I  was pretty sure that series intercooling came out some years after 1980 and that was when 350 HP  was first talked about for a E6 in Australia 

Increasing the revs on a E6 will dramatically reduce it's life span, they are a genuine million mile motor but, I believe and so do most people I speak to tend agree they are at their happiest at about 1950 rpm, yes you can run them out to 2100 plus but they really arent in their happy place 

I cant see or think of any reason you would have to use the tip turbine, the chassis mounted cooler should be fine, I  wonder if anything has to be done to control boost, the turbine controls boost on a tip turbine to a large degree 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Like 1