If you had the opportunity to redesign the Mack chassis and the MP engines what would you change?

3 minutes ago, fjh said:

I wish there were no political options allowed on the site just gets people stirred up! Truck related stuff! Important shit!😂

Agreed 100% you want that go to a political forum. I want to talk trucks!

4 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Cummins doesn’t do it that way

I've got an ISF Cummins in my Ute(pickup to you) & It's a got the Geartrain at the Flywheel end.. The new X12 is also that way..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I know that, but I never mentioned them to not do it. Cummins does it on one of their relatively new engines  that x12 like you stated. The notorious and most popular isx does not. The topic of this thread was if YOU had the opportunity to redesign what would you change? Well that’s what I picked haha. Silly to have to remove the trans and work under the truck to do any kind of timing gear work. Especially when it’s a notorious issue because gears are held in with a fastener that comes loose. Costs the customer 20k+ to repair and it’s apparently easier and faster to just pull the engine out to do the job. 

2 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Now….I would  be curious to know what the reasoning is for putting them at the back of the engine. Since we are on this subject. 

Because in a Euro COE you can work on the gear train, replace a camshaft. without having to pull the Motor..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

8 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Now….I would  be curious to know what the reasoning is for putting them at the back of the engine. Since we are on this subject. 

So the rumor I heard was it was to do away with any possibility of the crank ( flexing ) more arcuate timing ! Don't forget the previous versions of the green goblin everything was front mounted just like everything else !  I doubt  it had anything to do with cab over designed trucks! Who knows if this is true ! another backwards move is the press together cam ! A bold step forward ?  or backwards in the name of  5 pounds of weight? or just another place to have hard to find problems!

Just saying

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fjh said:

So the rumor I heard was it was to do away with any possibility of the crank ( flexing ) more arcuate timing ! Don't forget the previous versions of the green goblin everything was front mounted just like everything else !  I doubt  it had anything to do with cab over designed trucks! Who knows if this is true ! another backwards move is the press together cam ! A bold step forward ?  or backwards in the name of  5 pounds of weight? or just another place to have hard to find problems!

Just saying

Yea I highly doubt it had anything to do with cab over design. I think I also read  somewhere that it had to do with improving cooling around the front of the engine. 

4 minutes ago, fjh said:

Just saying

I was just thinking of the camshaft on the way to work. While the hollow pressed together camshaft is nice and  saves weight . We have had to replace one in of our early common rail engines. Maybe machine them for a keyway so the lobes wont slip. I like the new set up with the lightweight camshaft because it does away with the big camshaft vibration damper/balancer at the rear. This allows more room for repairs on things like upper timing cover R&R and camshaft timing . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Yea I highly doubt it had anything to do with cab over design. I think I also read  somewhere that it had to do with improving cooling around the front of the engine. 

Possible ! had they left everything up front maybe the bull gear would have stayed tight! they were blaming that on the heated oil coming off the EGR Valve I believe! this engine has great potential if they would stop doing Band-Aids and  changing stupid shit like hollow cams to save a few lbs weight! Redesign the head for a proper common rail system like MPRO said throw away that glorified turbo booster do dad mount a HPCR pump and air filter on the air purge same as we had on the vgt on the AC motor  ! All would be right with the world ! Except its still!  Volvo trash !🙃 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

I was just thinking of the camshaft on the way to work. While the hollow pressed together camshaft is nice and  saves weight . We have had to replace one in of our early common rail engines. Maybe machine them for a keyway so the lobes wont slip. I like the new set up with the lightweight camshaft because it does away with the big camshaft vibration damper/balancer at the rear. This allows more room for repairs on things like upper timing cover R&R and camshaft timing . 

You have a point Pro Comes down to doing it right if your going to make a change to something! the key way is a positive step forward not leaving anything to chance! just imagine getting rid of the the last three pumps would also take load of that situation as well!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fjh said:

Possible ! had they left everything up front maybe the bull gear would have stayed tight! they were blaming that on the heated oil coming off the EGR Valve I believe! this engine has great potential if they would stop doing Band-Aids and  changing stupid shit like hollow cams to save a few lbs weight! Redesign the head for a proper common rail system like MPRO said throw away that glorified turbo booster do dad mount a HPCR pump and air filter on the air purge same as we had on the vgt on the AC motor  ! All would be right with the world ! Except its still!  Volvo trash !🙃 

I was thinking same thing , use the ASET AC turbo actuator air supply filter/filter base to ensure clean air the the AHI. This is so important now because AHI modules are on a 3 month back order.  

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

I was thinking same thing , use the ASET AC turbo actuator air supply filter/filter base to ensure clean air the the AHI. This is so important now because AHI modules are on a 3 month back order.  

before I left we were having hI issues ! We were trying to convince customers to service the Air driers every year! Don't think it was helping! unfortunately in my opinion The AD9 is the best air drier out there (My  opinion)   however labor intensive to service! so your better off with the any one of the spin of filters wabco or bendix something quick and easy! The Volvomatic needs dry air as well so it makes sense to dry the air at the source! still cant hurt to install the VGT filter in the purge air line supply!

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

2 hours ago, fjh said:

before I left we were having hI issues ! We were trying to convince customers to service the Air driers every year! Don't think it was helping! unfortunately in my opinion The AD9 is the best air drier out there (My  opinion)   however labor intensive to service! so your better off with the any one of the spin of filters wabco or bendix something quick and easy! The Volvomatic needs dry air as well so it makes sense to dry the air at the source! still cant hurt to install the VGT filter in the purge air line supply !

So now everyone sits waiting for HI Modules That's simply wonderful ! It's OK guys just park your trucks and wait! 😡 

Design change's I don't really care about unless that design is to bring back the SuperLiner series. 

Engine change's I do have some suggestions: Common rail with piezoelectric injectors is a start; followed by ditching the VGT turbo to the asymmetrical type that Cat and Detroit are using. Bring back Cats idea for EGR as well, Instead of taking exhaust gases right off of the exhaust manifold take them from after the DPF so there would be less soot and heat. Secondary air injection right by the injectors is a concept I've recently read about. Its like the chimney effect on old lantern's how introducing air right at the source helps with smoke and brightness (or power in an engine). I would think that would be too hard to cool though. 

I would change the color to resemble the one pictured below. Something about the maroon and silver (I think the valve cover is gray now) just seems off. I have no clue about the mechanical design or features of the engine as the newest diesel engine I own is a 1994. The one MP8 I did drive ran and pulled like a freight train compared to any Etech, AI, or AC I was ever in with similar specs. Serious question: are the MP8 and Volvo D13 mechanically identical engines? How much different really is the software programming? 

Engines-Mack-E7-7652343.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

I would change the color to resemble the one pictured below. Something about the maroon and silver (I think the valve cover is gray now) just seems off. I have no clue about the mechanical design or features of the engine as the newest diesel engine I own is a 1994. The one MP8 I did drive ran and pulled like a freight train compared to any Etech, AI, or AC I was ever in with similar specs. Serious question: are the MP8 and Volvo D13 mechanically identical engines? How much different really is the software programming? 

Engines-Mack-E7-7652343.jpg

Only thing different is the paint and the software programming is pry a little different depending on the truck. Id be curious to how those MP10s and the ones that were compound turbo ran….Even the MP7 was a rocket. That 13 liter MP8 at 505 hp and 1,860 ft/lbs is right up there with those 15 and 16 liter engines. Pretty damn good I think  

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1