Mack 427 vs mp7

Onyx say's it truly...  I have those same thought's...  He just wrote it professionally..   Damn you Onyx...    You are correct Sir....  My pride is true, but I do know when to bow down to the truth.....   DAMMIT !!!!!!  😘🤔

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

That’s crazy! I don’t know much about those but I have heard they are like the worst of the worst in terms of the newer engines. As bad as the MPs can be sometimes I think they are on the top of the list for the best engines. Even Cummins has a lot of issues with their tier 4 engines. Cat was smart and got out of the market. 

IDK  200 K and hasn't had a light on yet. Respectable power and drivability. Fantastic engine brake. Really lousy tech support from dealers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Onyx say's it truly...  I have those same thought's...  He just wrote it professionally..   Damn you Onyx...    You are correct Sir....  My pride is true, but I do know when to bow down to the truth.....   DAMMIT !!!!!!  😘🤔

🤗 

haha, sometimes i think emotions run high when the red engine topic comes up. Don’t get me wrong I completely agree with you, mark, and fjh on everything you guys said as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I think they get a black eye because nobody is good at doing anything to them

Nice to know, I think paccar redesigned something’s from the past engines. They are better now then what they were from what I hear. 

35 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

As much as it sucks, atleast you guys got a lot of time working on, driving, and getting to hear/see all those older trucks in action. Most people these days didn’t get that opportunity. 

can I get an "AMEN" .  to watch a 318 twin 3 1/2 in  stacks  turn blue at the stack outlets ; no words  to describe the sound and sight . never todays electronic crap. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

can I get an "AMEN" .  to watch a 318 twin 3 1/2 in  stacks  turn blue at the stack outlets ; no words  to describe the sound and sight . never todays electronic crap. 

I love it! I can always picture your stories.

• Thanks 1

computers definitely have there place in todays world i won't disagree. a robotic computer which looked like an octopus did parts changing inside me repair a bout with cancer.. but to watch someone build horse power in a diesel with only his (or her ) hands and the knowledge  in their brain  beats any computer to me. was very honored today going to an equiptment dealer which i was advised friday to come back when john is here,"he's 80 yrs old and knows everything". she was right John was old school. a generation sadly leaving the world. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onyx610 said:

I love it! I can always picture your stories.

that is a true story , my mentor in building DD is the MECHANIC  who built the 318,and the driver a great guy just a little wacky knew there was a time and place to "flame the stacks" LOL 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Ok, Onyx...  I understand your point's..   But...  Many guys ran good old push rod MACK engines, and they new how to keep them running, and making their living..  You didnt need to have a boat load of special tools and knowledge to get it done..  and a computer..  now, you have to have all of those, and the luck to find a shop that can fix it..  and then you cross your fingers when you leave the shop,  hoping that the CEL doesnt come back on and derate you in 30 minutes or less..   I know i'm losing here but this is my take on this..  :)  jojo

I love anything pushrod and def a hand built high horsepower blue printed engine. I get that too being I live it when we have to take things to the dealership that’s way over our head. Usually a comeback. 

Edited by Onyx610

13 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Ok, Onyx...  I understand your point's..   But...  Many guys ran good old push rod MACK engines, and they new how to keep them running, and making their living..  You didnt need to have a boat load of special tools and knowledge to get it done..  and a computer..  now, you have to have all of those, and the luck to find a shop that can fix it..  and then you cross your fingers when you leave the shop,  hoping that the CEL doesnt come back on and derate you in 30 minutes or less..   I know i'm losing here but this is my take on this..  :)  jojo

Hopefully there is enough old iron out there to get you to retirement! Joe! We best stop giving away all our secrets here!😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

I have a Peterbilt now with a Paccar in it.  Can't do anything to it, and I don't mean silly stuff like delete.  Guy can't even change road speed or anything like that. Gotta go to Paccar.   I have to admit though, it does kinda make me think it's like picked up where the gray engine was abandoned 

!!! DON'T READ THIS POST JOEY !!!

Don’t kid yourself I know you’re not! But you only have to get on a creeper and roll under that Pete to see the same dumbass engine mounts bla bla bla! There ain’t nothing easy about doing shit to these either! They hired the engineers from the same schools that Volvo did!

just sayin!

Well 'F' from what I am seeing, even if we give away our secrets, they wouldnt know how to use the knowledge..  They are not looking at a Mechanical issue nowadays, they want to plug a laptop in and get the answer..   So .... No.... I'm not concerned..  the knowledge we have will go in the ground with us...    jojo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

I have a Peterbilt now with a Paccar in it.  Can't do anything to it, and I don't mean silly stuff like delete.  Guy can't even change road speed or anything like that. Gotta go to Paccar.   I have to admit though, it does kinda make me think it's like picked up where the gray engine was abandoned 

!!! DON'T READ THIS POST JOEY !!!

Don’t kid yourself I know you’re not! But you only have to get on a creeper and roll under that Pete to see the same dumbass engine mounts bla bla bla! There ain’t nothing easy about doing shit to these either! They hired the engineers from the same schools that Volvo did!

just sayin!

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Well 'F' from what I am seeing, even if we give away our secrets, they wouldnt know how to use the knowledge..  They are not looking at a Mechanical issue nowadays, they want to plug a laptop in and get the answer..   So .... No.... I'm not concerned..  the knowledge we have will go in the ground with us...    jojo

I got the books! Haha. Applying it may be a different story…

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

So if there is such a place as Heaven ; should i have someone put some tools in my coffin!! or maybe some heat resistant wrenches 😇

16 minutes ago, fjh said:

just sayin!

They look like anything else inside.  I ended up getting a look inside it already while doing an oil change ( lol )  I guess there is a reason for not draining the oil out of the plug on the oil pan..  there's one bolt on the pan, if you actually took everything apart to get the pan off....it'd bee several hours 

10 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

So if there is such a place as Heaven ; should i have someone put some tools in my coffin!! or maybe some heat resistant wrenches 😇

Feel bad for whoever gets stuck carrying that coffin. Just have them cremate you and bury you in your toolbox. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Feel bad for whoever gets stuck carrying that coffin. Just have them cremate you and bury you in your toolbox. 

I never gave that idea a thought ;; my luck someone would dump my ashes on the ground and steal my (coffin) toolbox. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

“What’s all this dust in here!?” Proceeds to grab the blow gun….

LMAO  now stop that!! 😂 laughing too much i cough uncontrollably .ticker can't take it.. THANKS ALL OF YOU.  best time i have is on this forum

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

LMAO  now stop that!! 😂 laughing too much i cough uncontrollably .ticker can't take it.. THANKS ALL OF YOU.  best time i have is on this forum

Nice to return the favor. You usually have me dying.