Mack aset 427

Jlam

Turbo air supply air filter plugged? Seized vanes on turbo? Rockershaft plugs blown out? Seized rocker shafts? Charge air cooler leaking? Fuel pressure low? Fault codes? Engine oil level low? Oil pressure gauge not reading right?

List can go on and on. We need more information.  Let's start with year make and model of the truck. What has been done to the truck. What other symptoms are there. Lots of great minds here to help out.

V

• Like 2

@Vmac3 2007 Mack Chn 613 with a aset 427 in it & it’s got new turbo, new vgt actuator, new boost sensor, new boost pressure valve, new air filter, egr blocked off, oil pressure at idle & to temp is about 12psi & truck has 588k on it 

Try pulling up the blink codes as stated! You will have a mass flow code . How ever are there anymore! For other things! ? Engine speed? Vehicle speed?cam position? These all could make it stumble! I once blocked an egr valve on a customer truck it ran in inhibited for 1.5 mil kms! Not saying it ain’t a problem but…….it was a 2005!

Edited by fjh

6 hours ago, Vmac3 said:

Egr blocked off? Ecm is looking for egr flow. It's probably derating the engine. Any codes?

V

No codes, it did this before I blocked the egr. Thought blocking it would help but then found this on my boost issue from a stop. Lmk what you guys think I can do 

21F89240-2797-498A-9719-D553CA3B3227.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jlam said:

No codes, it did this before I blocked the egr. Thought blocking it would help but then found this on my boost issue from a stop. Lmk what you guys think I can do 

21F89240-2797-498A-9719-D553CA3B3227.jpeg

What’s the model and last 6 of Vin and I can have my guy see what software levels are in it 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

What’s the model and last 6 of Vin and I can have my guy see what software levels are in it 

.Sounds to me Mp is on the right path ! Don't think the EGR block is doing it The egr should be throwing a code for mass flo out of parameter! this shows up a few KM after you block it ! Your first boost drop out complaint is pretty exact and some of the other stuff  on the list as well there as well! worth a shot  doing a reflash! Something may have got corrupted in the program somewhere! (not the first time!) Also if all else fails check the ECM plugs for coolant wicking! relatively common on the older chassis! just something to look at!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

I see you are getting some good advice on diagnostics..  Did you happen to put a gauge in one of the oil gallery ports to see if the oil pressure is truly low??  I have one on a 12 foot long hose, it rides in the cab with me when I test drive...  

• Like 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I see you are getting some good advice on diagnostics..  Did you happen to put a gauge in one of the oil gallery ports to see if the oil pressure is truly low??  I have one on a 12 foot long hose, it rides in the cab with me when I test drive...  

I have not done that yet 

there are plugs on the oil filter pad..  on the right is 2 ports, sometimes only one sensor, so you can use the other one to get a true reading.   you can also remove the pressure sensor, install a 'T' fitting then put the sensor into that fitting with the pnuematic gauge, and check it,   jojo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

an oil analisys is the best way, but the quickest way I can tell is by smell, (if its really bad),,  sight, (very thin) and not milky, (thats coolant)..  and lastly, I do a 'Halo test'...  get a clean piece of cardboard,  the common kind, not the shinny kind....  take it to the engine, pull the dipstick and let it drip one good drip on the card board, then watch...  if a halo forms around the oil droplet in a few seconds, the oil is contaminated..  diesel will seperate itself from the oil quickly...  basically it will look like a mini black sunny side up egg..  oil in the middle sitting on top of the cardboard, and the fuel will soak into the cardboard around the oil..  Jojo

Do you think I should do it hot or cold?