Installing an engine fan override switch on a 2007 Mack CXN613 with the AC-460 engine

ibcosmo

Question

I have a 2007 Mack CXN613 with the AC-460 @ 480 HP. I live in the California mountains and having the fan override switch would be very helpful. Went to local dealer said no can do on an override switch. My question is why couldn't I splice into the AC high pressure switch and override that way. On the old mechanical engines wouldn't be a problem. Now with everything going thru the ECM don't want to screw that up with an improper switch install. If anyone has installed an override switch on one of these engines would sure like to hear from you. Thanks Cosmo

1 answer to this question

My 03 Granite with an AI 400 has a thermostatic fan clutch not an air clutch.  The thermostatic fan clutch is just like a car fan clutch it has an internal mechanism that locks up the fan when it gets warm, so there is no external control that you can tie into were the air fan clutch takes the temperature of the coolant remotely and turns the fan on and off with air, and that system you could tap into electronicly.