Air leaking out of bottom of this thing?

There was half a dozen brand new saddles in the truck toolbox of truck so I put a new saddle on and painted the cap and went for a drive and it almost done a full rotation in a 300km trip. I was about to try running a new saddle on belt sander to make it clamp harder but this air leak popped up before I could try it. I like the shim idea. Suspecting the yolk is wearing but not sure if thats a diff center out job with crush tubes for pinion preload setting type job like on my car or if its just as simple as undoing the nut and replacing yolk then rattle gun nut up. 

is the drive shaft phased correctly?  what about the angle of the drive shaft.  I think I saw a torque arm, for air ride...?  this can force a u-joint cap to rotate,,  it still needs to be fixed.. jojo

You might be onto it joey, thats why I mentioned the geometry/airbag height and the spinning cap. I can feel somethings not right back there through the seat under certain load conditions. Caps spinning but I think theres more to it than just a worn yolk. That one might get a new thread when I get onto that fix. Phasing is all alligned and square but I’ve read some setups on spicer website deliberately have things unphased a certain amount. I havnt looked right into it yet but will definitely need help checking it all when I get to that.

for now, the air leak, muffler, and jacking up wheels to check for a bulge will get the cows fed. 

my guess is the drive shaft is 'Spicer life'.. I havent ever seen one out of phase from the factory,  but I also have not seen everything..  also..  the brackets that hold the center bearing's,  should be looked at,  there are angled shims for certain lengths of driveline..  but your truck looked to be normal, so I expect no shims between the center bearings and the mounts..  I used to be much smarter abut this, but I got a bit of rust on me..  recheck the ride height of the suspension...  jojo

According to numbers on truck the mack dealers say its got spring suspension and drum brakes on their records. But the truck runs airbags and discs so maybe someones changed everything over and who knows if that was all done right or not??

I will do a thread on it when I get time with lots of pictures etc so we can figure it out. Steer axle leaf springs are sagged as the hangers are leaning back a lot unloaded so I was thinking to sort that out then setup the rear properly at same time. 

Edited by The Nitro

i was wondering about that.... do you see marks on the frame rail where there was a different suspension setup?  ie: Mack camel back, or maybe, Hendrickson HN or HaulMaxx??  or maybe the truck was cut in half and a different back half was installed.. do you see where the frame was cut and rebuilt?  Once again, Sir... it's my bedtime..  Good luck to you... Jojo

The Air leak is fixed. Just put the 2 new valves in, kidney one and the one that feeds the spring brake ports of brake cans and now there is no air trumpeting out the flap on bottom of valve that feeds the service brake ports of cans. 

Thanks for all the help guys. I knew we would get there in the end. 

I can’t see any obvious signs of being chopped joey its got a single spring on  each side of rear axles in a big z shape with an airbag on each. 4 z’ds and 4 air bags. 

The airbags up and down button are handy when I back up to the plant trailer with the new pintle hook setup I put on it. I can only have a 9 tonne trailer on my license so took the old ringfeder off with a gas axe as the loader couldnt even pull the shaft out with a chain and 20 runups lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

You know, when I was working on my old R600, I think I replaced every single air valve on the truck...and all the brake cans...and all the lines.  After that, the air system worked great.  And, like the man said, the education I got while doing it was probably worth more than the truck.  For a while there, I was VERY familiar with the Bendix brake catalog and how all the valves worked!

• Haha 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."