Death wobble steerable drop axle

Here's a youtube video i took. SO i got loaded for my first load of the day and i heard AIR  like my drop axle wasnt filled yet after a good min. turned out it was 1 of the air bags on the drop so i looked at my drop axles and looked them over and seen the bushing where shot . so i took the truck to a shop and they changed the drop axles bushings. i got the truck back and got my first load truck was fine driving until i hit a bump and they i got the death wobble. i thought maybe it was just random. its been a week or 2 its still does it after hitting a bump so i hit the button and it stops and hit it right away to drop it again and its fine until i hit a bump again. it cost me $5500 and they had it for 10 days so i needed to use it to work for 2 weeks and just deal with it. but im bring it back this friday . i changed the steering stabilizer all 4 i have a quad axle the first is the 1 wobbling in the video. 

Before having the bushings change the axles never did any wobbling even know the bushing where bad. and the tires are fine maybe 1 is a little little choppy thats it. any help would be amazing thanks

How are the king pins? I assume these use a tie rod from left to right? How are the tie rod ends?

I drove an oil delivery truck that had a nasty wobble, the trucks usual driver just put up with it.  When I drove the truck I went straight to the tie rod ends and the one was horribly worn out, about ready to fall apart.  Boss had the truck fixed the next day.

i dont know the name of the drop axles. but i dropped it back off today and when i looked it over when i was waiting for my buddy to pick me up and he got there me took a tape measure out and check like 10 different spots and the front axles seems to be off to the right by like 2 inchs so im hoping they do an alignment this time on the drop axles and not say they did and not do them. and i had my front steer king pins done and the caps are the old ones and they said they use the old caps sometimes becuase new ones are sometimes not the right fix and now in my head i feel like i didnt even get the king pins down. but well see when i get the truck back if the wobble goes away. 

steerable drop axles?  check 'down' pressure,, probably 60 ish..  check 'toe' on the wheels, tie rod end's, check the steering stabilizers for soft reaction's/ easily compressed and  extended,  do you have balancing bags in the tires, and put wet air in them from an air compressor that has water in the tank?   Are all the mounting bolt's tight?  just a few thought's,,, I know some of this is repeated...  jojo

• Like 2

I had a bobtail that for about three years i had same problem.It has two drops and i found what the problem.Both of mine and many of my friends had same problem.Too much caster.When you would hit a bump some times one or both would go nuts.Mine was about 12 to 14 degrees.I shimed them to 5 degress and you cant make them shake.Two different friends of mine did same thing and no problem.Its just like your steer axle on the truck if you turn it all the way to the left one side of the truck rises and the other side lowers.If you turn it all the way to the right one side raises and the other side lowers.So if you go down the road and hit a chuck hole then your wheel will shimmy some but with too much caster it goes nuts.If you have a big truck front end alignment shop around call him and ask if he has seen this.Set you caster and make sure your toe/in is about 1/16 you will be happy.Let us know what happens.

• Like 1

glenn akers

That's great !! do you know what adjustments were made?  Just in case someone needs the info...  Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling