2009 MACK GU813 Excessive Black smoke/ plugged DPF in 3 days

So with the DPF/DOC off there is little to no smoke unless you snap the throttle hard. we hit the regen button and then it starts pouring the smoke out. so whatever is causing it, it only happens when the truck is trying to regen. we unhooked the DRV put it in regen and it starting pouring smoke out. we plugged off the 7th injector fuel line and same thing, pouring smoke out. 

where is the EGR test in PTT? we did the intake and exhaust check test and the EGR flow stays at 0. while we had that test going we hit regen and EGR flow still said 0. how or when should we see EGR flow? only while driving?

The DRV valve set up is only used to help heat up the exhaust for a regen. They dropped this feature around 2011 when the figured out how to increase exhaust temp by manipulating the injector timing. No EGR flow during regen is the norm . 

• Like 1

Has the truck had the updates as MACP has suggested Get all that stuff up to date before messing with this much more! to much going on in the background to not be up to date! The other thing is the the 7th injector sobering or spraying?

4 minutes ago, fjh said:

Just thought I would add this as we have struggled with this issue before ! 

Has the truck had the updates as MACP has suggested Get all that stuff up to date before messing with this much more! to much going on in the background to not be up to date! The other thing is the the 7th injector sobering or spraying? Also the sweep test on the turbo maybe throwing you off ! When the engine is hot the turbo could be sticking and not creating enough air during regen!! just saying!

Edited by fjh

• 4 months later...

I thought I would type an update to this. The dealer replaced the Turbo and the EGR valve and cooler and that seemed to fix it. I believe it was the turbo because we checked the EGR valve and the cooler and they were fine. Just odd that it would only do it in regen. but its been running great since. knock on wood.!! Thanks everyone

4 hours ago, Wasteman1 said:

I thought I would type an update to this. The dealer replaced the Turbo and the EGR valve and cooler and that seemed to fix it. I believe it was the turbo because we checked the EGR valve and the cooler and they were fine. Just odd that it would only do it in regen. but its been running great since. knock on wood.!! Thanks everyone

Thanx for posting your fix!

Sounds like they got into a parts throwing situation in unfortunately sometimes that is what has to happen!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Pry could have been fixed with a turbo. Someone didn’t want to take the chance it may have been a cooler if it wasnt and basically have to do the job all over again. 

Agreed! These turbos can choke up with carbon and stick sum times only when hot then won't stroke out enough to make heat! And then Just compound the problem with more carbon!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fjh said:

Thanx for posting your fix!

Sounds like they got into a parts throwing situation in unfortunately sometimes that is what has to happen!

You are 100 percent correct on the fact that throwing parts at it is what has to happen sometimes, I’m guilty of bringing the parts cannon out of the closet myself. Not as often as some people but it has a couple of times. Not a nice feeling but sometimes that’s what it comes down to on these red engines. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

You are 100 percent correct on the fact that throwing parts at it is what has to happen sometimes, I’m guilty of bringing the parts cannon out of the closet myself. Not as often as some people but it has a couple of times. Not a nice feeling but sometimes that’s what it comes down to on these red engines. 

This here is entirely experience based  Crap shoot! start with what you know and see  and what you don't! if the egr valve opens on command and the cooler is not cloged and the differential pressure sensor and venturi tube are clear and show to be working on the screen ! then you might want to tri the turbo first! BUT ITS A pricey nuke!

It all depends on which ammo you choose to load the canon with and in what order ! You tend to try to use the cheapest part first ! However Had he pulled on the turbo first and tried it it likely would have saved all these other parts ! BUT its the most costly so you hope for the best by starting cheap ! Its a total crap shoot Unfortunately! there is nothing in this trouble shooting chart on this other than experience ,good logic  and your best guess and good intentions! Sad but true!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

is the flange bent, from too much tweaking?  They can be a pain at times, as far as the getting them to seal.. I see the flat steel seal in the picture, has been leaking for a bit.  Those little tabs are supposed to be your friend when going back together..  Which truck is it?   Just curios, Jojo

Yup for those unfamiliar! the best way to find those is to do a regen get the squeal going if the truck will allow you to and pour some hot water over the suspect area’s and listen for the sound to change! At least that’s how our guys tracked these down!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Just used soapy water once the truck was cold. With an exhaust leak that bad should be able to find quickly even at idle. Correct me if im wrong, but I believe you wont find any leaks after the egr valve during regen as the valve should be closed? However I do like that hot water trick!

Edited by Onyx610

It was leaking all around but when I took it off, the bottom of the gasket was gone so you couldn’t see it. That half must have burned up to nothing because it was no where to be found. And yes I looked in the cooler to make sure it wasn’t in there haha. 

• Like 1