Exhaust leak around turbo outlet

No luck at dealer.

I think I'll be looking at gluing it for now.  That or some hi temp silicone. 

Changing turbo is a possibility at some time, but all depends on mounting configuration to manifold.  The exhaust side is not an issue as I can make anything work.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

IDK ???  not looking too promising for repairing the way it is in this day and age.  Not really a lot of easy options to make a repair in this case. Exhaust is really hard to contain especially that close to the heat.  I think if I was gonna try muffler in a can (or tube) I'd see about a flat lap clamp about the size to wrap around the part with the pyrometer and fill the whole thing in and leave it like a cast.  Or ?  what if you had a shim cut to go  in one side so the rings  aren't ending up in the same spot ?   

Edited by Mark T
more information

Well it's all back together.  I bought some hi temp RTV(rated 750*) so we'll see how well it holds up for now.

I wire wheeled everything really clean and noticed grooves worn in the adjoining sockets where the original rings were sealing.  I put a nice bead around all surfaces and slipped it together.  I will give it a few days before I even start it.  It has to be better then nothing.

Larry

One thing I haven't figured out is how that assembly holds in place? I don't see any clamp or a brace. Were those "compression" rings supposed to lock the tubes by just tension?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

8 hours ago, Vladislav said:

One thing I haven't figured out is how that assembly holds in place? I don't see any clamp or a brace. Were those "compression" rings supposed to lock the tubes by just tension?

when the "compression" rings are new they  work same principal  as  piston rings on a piston , hold the  adapter flange tight in turbo / exhaust elbow. piston rings hold piston secure in cyl. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

That elbow is cast iron and it bolts to the manifold so the elbow will stay in place.

If so the matter is clear to me. Never put a wrench on a 237. Thanks Glenn.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Turbo is solid mounted, the downpipe is also solid mounted to manifold.  The reducer basically floats between them using the rings to seal it.  This movement is needed due to heat expansion.

• Like 2

Larry

Took a trip yesterday and the silicone is surviving.  Not 100% sealed tight but not blowing out all around the connection.  It's a win for now because you can't smell it in the cab anymore.

• Like 1

Larry