First start in 10yrs

i like your explanation all though i always moved the main first even down shifting by the time you get it in your RPMs are right where they belong on a long grade but yes we probably got him real confused now for recreational...he will probably need any of the auxiliary anyway,,,also i thought brownie was slang for browning very interesting ..bob 

35 minutes ago, mowerman said:

i like your explanation all though i always moved the main first even down shifting by the time you get it in your RPMs are right where they belong on a long grade but yes we probably got him real confused now for recreational...he will probably need any of the auxiliary anyway,,,also i thought brownie was slang for browning very interesting ..bob 

Yep.  Brown-Lipe Gear Company.  Had divisions that made differentials, steering gears, and who knows what else.  One of a million totally useless pieces of trivia I've picked up and crammed into my head over the years.  You don't want to live in there!  It's scary!

image.png.d3c4fe3f03ebdfdc8cf18c76690dc6d0.png

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
spelling

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Wow that’s very interesting thanks for that no I did not know that.., tell you the truth I’ve only actually seen one in my life as far as actually looking under the truck somebody had one out one time I was considering buying it for my DM since the top end I s only 55 but who knows if that damn truck will ever see the street ha ha why wife doesn’t think so I’m starting to wonder myself .. bob 

3 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

10 speed direct.  That's the "Duplex".  You can split each gear for a total of 10 forward.  2 reverse.  So, yes, a TRD-72 or -722.  Probably -722.  Could be the "L" or not.  Depends on the case material.

the 9 speed (-720 or 7220) was direct in 4th, overdrive 5th, so you typically skipped Lo-5th (duplicate of Hi-4th).  Just went from Hi-4th to Hi-5th.

Mack boxes are "married" boxes, with the compound bolted directly to the main.  Not remote mounted like a typical "Brownie" (Named after the Brown-Lipe brand).

I always loved the split-shifting instructions they gave (like on the bottom of snowdog's post).  They show shifting the main box first in all cases.  I never found that to be true.  If down-shifting the main and upshifting the compound, I found it better to upshift the compound first, then double-clutch and downshift the main last.  Reason is simple.  If you have enough RPM available to downshift the main first, then why even bother splitting it!  Just downshift the main and put your foot back in it.  So, I always upshifted whichever box was going up first, then downshifted the other.  Worked better.  If you learn really well, you do them simultaneously.  But, when you miss one, it's hilarious for everybody else to watch as you try to get them back in, stop, and start all over.  Ask me how I know that!

In reality, you don't need to split the gears most of the time.  You can usually stay in Lo, use 1-5 in the main, then shift to Hi.  Probably start off in 2nd even.

Anyway, I love that truck.  Steel dash.  Green interior.  2 sticks (a Mack-must!), and a single axle.  Just love it!  Kinda jealous!😁

Thanks for the info.  I also love this truck lol it was love at first site. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Robo987 said:

I was told by the owner that this truck is really low geared and that you just took off in low shifted the main through the gears and then shifted to high.  

Yep.  You should be good with exactly that.  No need to split the gears unless heavily loaded, and even then it's questionable.  We've talked about that several times on here before.  Empty, you probably don't even need 1st gear.

It's kinda fun to show off and hit them all once in a while, though!

Still envious of that find!  I LOVE those early R's.  Grew up in them and the B's.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

10 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Take off in a gear that you don't have to ride the clutch.    My B can go as high as third low bobtailing.

Whats the saying.....ass for every seat?  Looks like that seat had every ass in it!!  Lmao!!

Yea I hate riding clutches cause I’m the one that replaces them lol.  The seat met its demise at the hands of a couple of raccoons that got in the cab and couldn’t get back out. They died in there but not before they shredded the seat. The seat was probably wore out but not in pieces haha.   Luckily everything is metal so they didn’t hurt anything else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, Mike said:

Easy fix on the ass pan. About 10 minutes with a vacuum and your done. Nice looking R, just a small amount of TLC and you'll be turning heads on the roads. Keep up the good work. 

Thanks.  Just waiting for the weather to clear and find some time to transport it to the shop then I’ll get after all of that.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:47 AM, Jeff M said:

You guys need to ease up about that seat.  It is/was a Bostrom Westcoaster, not the lowly Viking T-bar.  Good seat.....in its day....  🙂  

fixing those seats is going to be one of the first things I do.  Hopefully the seat still functions well so I can use and keep this thing as original as possible