Mack engine counterbore cutting.

Joey Mack

I did look into some other forms of advertising on-line.. I used google for a while, and it was only $12/ month.  I got a lot of calls.. I went back to try it again, and the fee's were up near $1.50/ day for the minimum service, or 'pay per click'  I used Yelp once with the 'Pay per Click' option..  I would view my page on a regular basis only to find out that ' Pay per Click' didnt exclude 'me' looking at my own page...  it cost me over $400/month.  that is way too expensive for me,,  back to Google, prices were pretty high as well.. jojo

I'm a Millennial.....36 years old. Most people that know me say I was born 40-50 years too late. I grew up around extensive technology. Had a computer in every grade of school. Learned some programming in college. I use a computer every day of my life now and have a smart phone I use for tons of things but social media is not one of them. I refused to ever get involved with it. I really can't stand it on so many levels I won't discuss here. When I got into trucks as a hobby then as a part time side business I leaned on people I knew who were already in the business for knowledge and contacts. If I needed a specific service or parts or whatever I talked (you know real social interaction) to friends and acquaintances that have been in the situation before. This way I knew for sure of the specific vendor's reputation and abilities. I have the same method for just about any roadblock, question, or need in life I don't have experience in. It has worked very well for me over the years. I'm not hating on people who use FB. To each their own but I don't need it and don't want it.  

• Like 2

Thanks Bob..  I am waiting on all the info and instructions for my new tool.  I wrote to the tool company today. I see it will work on Cat C-10/12/13...  and many Cummins, except ISX..  I also saw John Deere, somewhere as well.  I dont expect to make tons of money with this tool, I would like to cut back on the hard physical work that I do with regards to truck repair, and focus more on engine repair and builds..  Who know's..  I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up..   jojo

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

I'm a Millennial.....36 years old. Most people that know me say I was born 40-50 years too late. I grew up around extensive technology. Had a computer in every grade of school. Learned some programming in college. I use a computer every day of my life now and have a smart phone I use for tons of things but social media is not one of them. I refused to ever get involved with it. I really can't stand it on so many levels I won't discuss here. When I got into trucks as a hobby then as a part time side business I leaned on people I knew who were already in the business for knowledge and contacts. If I needed a specific service or parts or whatever I talked (you know real social interaction) to friends and acquaintances that have been in the situation before. This way I knew for sure of the specific vendor's reputation and abilities. I have the same method for just about any roadblock, question, or need in life I don't have experience in. It has worked very well for me over the years. I'm not hating on people who use FB. To each their own but I don't need it and don't want it.  

Don’t have fb or any of that garbage either. I’m 33….But for something that is a free service and can get your name out there with a simple search on google or duck duck go why not? All these types of platforms are the way of the world like it or not. Essentially this website is no different. 

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling
  • Like 1

yes sir... I get rained on and sometimes 'rained out'  one advantage of being a Yankee in the south is that when its cold outside here, I can still work, because I dont feel it until it gets below 20 degrees, which is rare.. lol... :) 

• Like 1

Kind of off the subject but reminds me of that baker that refused to put a cake together for a gay marriage they just about ruined him Facebook probably had a lot to do with it that’s sucks… But yes I forgot about the shitty reviews like this guy said all you need is one…Bob

• Like 1

My 2 cents is 67Rmodel hit the nail on the head. :twothumbsup: 

You actually have a good opportunity to finish off your international or some other truck and go to truck shows, tractor pulls, or any spot with Diesel engines and promote yourself.  Hand out your post cards and have a nice chat .  That way you can judge the customer . lol .  We all know the customer we wish we had stayed away from . 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keith 

Terry, you are right,  I already have a bunch of work right now.  I just want to add one more important service to my list, to help keep the flow of work.  And yes, many times a 2-3 hr job turns into a sh!tshow, and-or parts issue, like 3 of my current jobs, and lets not forget waiting on a machine shop. I have parts for 2 engines at a shop for 3 weeks now..  I will call again to check, I just dont want to be too much of a pest, because I need them more then they need me..  jojo

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 85snowdog said:

My 2 cents is 67Rmodel hit the nail on the head. :twothumbsup: 

You actually have a good opportunity to finish off your international or some other truck and go to truck shows, tractor pulls, or any spot with Diesel engines and promote yourself.  Hand out your post cards and have a nice chat .  That way you can judge the customer . lol .  We all know the customer we wish we had stayed away from . 😀

That’s ingenious you just outdid the rest of us ha ha… Bob

• Like 1

Snowdog and Bob good points, and yes, when I am at truck shows, hopefully with my '48 Int. this year, I can easily strike up conversations.  Yes, I have worked for a few guys that I wished I didnt work for,  and I have lost money, oh well.. most of my customers are good people that pay quickly. and one of the engines in my shop is from one of our BMT brother's...  jojo

• Like 2

Might take a little while to get it out there, but something like cut'n counterbores ?   Seems like a word of mouth thing from someone you did it for is how that gets spread around.  Especially if you're willing to go to the customer. I know our guy here never advertised and his name comes up any time someone asks. Maybe if you get friendly with a parts guy or two who can pass the info along to guys buy'n cylinder kits ?  Little tricky as they could get in trouble at work, but parts guys that have been around a while .... they know who to share stuff with.  

Yes Mark, you are correct, I have several connections who have gotten work for me.  and I have already spoken to a couple of them in my travels this week.. the more I think about it,   the more im leaning towards word of mouth, referrals, and such.. The machine shop i use does not cut counter bores in big truck engines, so I will be talking to him when I pick up my engine parts..  maybe I could go there and do the cutting and they bill their customer,,  jojo

Im sure this will work,,  like i said before, it wont be a big money maker, but it will be another service,  hell, i bet if I go to a company and cut the counter bores, i bet they ask me "How much to finish the engine"?     that has happened before with other jobs i was a 'Part' of,. I end up finishing it because when they ask me about my knowledge and history, they say, 'why dont you just finish it for us',...  just sayin'... jojo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I stopped advertising a while back because I have many customers, and they keep me steadily busy, and they tell others about me which helps too......

8 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I am only 1 guy, and I get backed up quickly, 

The last thing a One Man band such as yourself needs is Too much Work.!!!

. People Start complaining about you taking Too long to get to them... (Ask me how I know This)

If You're steadily Busy, I would just keep doing what your Doing. .Word of Mouth advertising is the best there Is.. Also You have a wife & young Child (or is It Children?) Best advice I ever got about being a parent is; You can only watch your Kids grow up Once!! 

You need a good work life balance, & It's pointless being the richest Man in the Cemetery..

Just My 2 cents worth..

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -