Cost to do king pins on a 2007 Mack MR

giannid

55 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I actually pulled the hubs off to get in there.  Looked like it might have been possible to do them without it, though.  Easier than most light-duty pins I ever did back in my youth.  Shame more designers don't understand the basic principle of the taper!

yes at my age i would do that get it right down to the bare spindle....i intalled my air starter at 38 im not even sure if i could pull it out now at 65 lol.bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

Hardest task is removing the + nut. We had to use oxy acetylene torch to heat up the steering knuckle so we could turn the nut.  

if proper 3/4 dr " screwdriver" socket isn't available , i've used a piece of 1/4 x 1 1/2? flatstock  with large adjustable wrench  to work and loosen the lower nut.  remove nut and thrust bearing a block of wood under the spindle held tight to spindle with floor/bottle jack. makes for solid hitting. i had a length of 1in bar -8-12 in long that had a pipe welded to it. made for safe holding of bar and short distance away from sledge hammer. one holding pipe/bar  another swings the sledge. another positive  of the block under spindle  when king pin frees and falls the block keeps it in place   spindle doesn't fall on toes