Cost to do king pins on a 2007 Mack MR

giannid

just get both ends apart and use the old pin to see if the boss's in the beams are worn out...  it will be easy to see..  if they are a little bit worn and the bushings in the knuckle are wicked bad, but not worn into the knuckle,, you may just be able to put a new king pin set in it and get by just fine..  jojo

Lots of good advice their fellas if I were you I would at least try it myself it might take you a little longer but you would sure save a lot of money any vehicle repair of these days is very expensive specially hard core muscle work like you have there good luck …. If you’ve got the money cool go for a reputable shop ……. Bob

I would attempt if and have a heated shop with air tools and a compressor.  Just have never done it before and it's not like there's a book or something I can get to show me exactly how to do it.  My luck I'll get stuck and have to tow it somewhere to get finished.  

'G' I truly understand....  yes it is hard work, not rocket surgery, just hard work..  too bad we arent close to each other..  I would come do it with you..  jojo

• Like 1

for sure,  I live in the southeast now, so rust is not very common.. like it was when I lived in Maine.. I dont use torches near as much,  I still reassemble with anti seize wherever possible. jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling
  • Like 1

I just did a set of these in an '86 superliner..  It went well.. I have an old '+nut' that i cut grooves in to make a chaser for the threads.. it works good for cleaning the threads without cutting them..  the new kits DO NOT come with new '+nut's'..  just FYI... jojo

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Hardest task is removing the + nut. We had to use oxy acetylene torch to heat up the steering knuckle so we could turn the nut.  

Los Angeles Mack used to lend me tools all the time but I was always there back in the early 80s sure helps a lot with the specialized tools.. bob

11 hours ago, giannid said:

I would attempt if and have a heated shop with air tools and a compressor.  Just have never done it before and it's not like there's a book or something I can get to show me exactly how to do it.  My luck I'll get stuck and have to tow it somewhere to get finished.  

Well that should help you but yes they work area so it’s very important especially the heated garage don’t blame youe for not wanting to do it out doors I wouldn’t… Bob

22 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

actually Bob,  I do not know how far back the adjustable tapered king pins go, but if you look at your 'R' model, on the bottom of the king pin, you may see a 'cross' were the large cotter pin goes through...  thats the adjuster. of course its only 90 degrees at a time, and not a fine adjustment.  you may also have shims between the axle beam and the knuckle. if multiple adjustments are being done, I would be concerned about the thrust bearing at the bottom of the pin..  anyway,  he probably has the newer style..  jojo

That's what mine had.  I replaced them myself and they were very easy.  That nut to adjust the thrust bearing was a really good idea.  And, the tapered shanks made for easy removal of the pins.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

That's what mine had.  I replaced them myself and they were very easy.  That nut to adjust the thrust bearing was a really good idea.  And, the tapered shanks made for easy removal of the pins.

Long as you can get a clear swing with a sledge on these your laughfin  remove the spider if you have to! Love doing these  pins so easy once the bottom nut is out that's the only not nice part of the job!

1 minute ago, fjh said:

Long as you can get a clear swing with a sledge on these your laughfin  remove the spider if you have to! Love doing these  pins so easy once the bottom nut is out that's the only not nice part of the job!

I actually pulled the hubs off to get in there.  Looked like it might have been possible to do them without it, though.  Easier than most light-duty pins I ever did back in my youth.  Shame more designers don't understand the basic principle of the taper!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."