Bronze bushing change on

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Bought a harbor freight 1 inch gun, and 10" long. Claims it goes to 1500 ft lbs.  Our other 1" gun had the long shank, wouldn't fit under there.  Ran the gun til it pretty much doesn't tighten any more...

Did you guys just do the drivers side?

• 1 month later...

Well gang just not w getting to the suspension. Pulled it all off and Trunnion bar looked good until we got to the passenger side. There are hardly any threads left. The whole bushing just slid off the bar. The bar was in really good shape, no cracks in welds but I don’t see anyway around not replacing the bar. Not going tack weld the nut on it. Probably call Axle Surgeons in morning. 

65E63C95-76C9-4EF1-84A0-FC4C6DD734E6.jpeg

Well I dunno, there cant be much sideways force on these as the spring on the opposite side would stop it pulling and vice versa 

If the elephant ears are in good nic you could probably run it with no nuts at all

Or at least thats how my mind see's it

Paul

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark T said:

From the looks of the pictures, someone put a trunion stand in that truck already. If you have the body off, you're not that far from just replacing it with another Mack one. 

Right, the huck bolts are gone and replaced with hex bolts. How’s the job going other then that bar Ricky? 

The axle surgeon might even have a way to make it work.  Maybe even restore the threads on it enough to get by.  Paul's right about it not being such a bad thing if the rest is tightened up.  Not perfect, but it'd go considerably longer than you might think

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I hope he bought new saddles and ubolt sets...  and the thrust washers, inner seals, jam nuts and caps...   jojo

New is the way to go especially if the bushings were worn all the way thru,have to measure the bar also to see if it’s within spec..

• Like 1

from what I understand,  there will be a new bar installed on thursday.  I know that I have had this repair done 4 times, and all went good.. and cost effective as well..  If I dont t have to pull the A-Frame,  I call Axle Surgeon..   the last one I had done a few years ago, was $1500.00 total...  not sure what todays price is..  jojo

• Like 1

I did inspect the bushings and they were not worn all the way thru. I’m like you guys this isn’t the original Trunnion stand. The bar looked really good just those threads were gone on one end. Yes everything is new on rear suspension and I’m talking everything. Replacing brakes while I’m back there. These guys are out of Little Rock which is central Arkansas and I’m down in SW Arkansas about 130 miles from them. They quoted 1800.00

6 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

I did inspect the bushings and they were not worn all the way thru. I’m like you guys this isn’t the original Trunnion stand. The bar looked really good just those threads were gone on one end. Yes everything is new on rear suspension and I’m talking everything. Replacing brakes while I’m back there. These guys are out of Little Rock which is central Arkansas and I’m down in SW Arkansas about 130 miles from them. They quoted 1800.00

If you can snap a few photos of them doing the job,it would be interesting to see..

21 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

Macks I didn’t see this until this evening. They came and went. It was just one guy. He took a grinder and cut a slit below the Trunnion bar in the stand. He then drove a couple of small chisels into those cuts. He then cut the bar right behind the stand on both sides. Took a 20lb sledge and knocked out both side. He then took the new Trunnion bar and slicked it up and we put it in one side of stand and drove it thru the other side. He welded everything up and was gone. Took him 2 hours. 

1EBAF611-559E-4FE3-BF6F-536FE4705184.jpeg

On 4/28/2022 at 9:24 PM, Ricky Beals said:

Macks I didn’t see this until this evening. They came and went. It was just one guy. He took a grinder and cut a slit below the Trunnion bar in the stand. He then drove a couple of small chisels into those cuts. He then cut the bar right behind the stand on both sides. Took a 20lb sledge and knocked out both side. He then took the new Trunnion bar and slicked it up and we put it in one side of stand and drove it thru the other side. He welded everything up and was gone. Took him 2 hours. 

1EBAF611-559E-4FE3-BF6F-536FE4705184.jpeg

Are those bolts clamping the trunnion bar in place? Is that how the stand was set up originally or did he add that?...