1999 Mack 690s

Ricky Beals

Question

This truck is being advertised for sale on Facebook so I have no idea how to put the listing on here. Truck has decent dump bed, tri  axle with a e7300, Eaton 8ll transmission and Mack rears. Has 560,000 miles and he is asking 26,500.00. I’m thinking 24,000.00 cash if truck checks out. Does this seem like a fair price for this truck? Try and upload photos tomorrow where service is better

Edited by Ricky Beals

@Ricky Beals if that's a true Heavy Single then you need to buy that truck.  Take a tape measure with you and measure frame depth top to bottom and also measure how thick the steel is that's used for the frame. Post them here and we can tell you whether it's heavy or not.  I think a standard double frame is a 1/4" rail and a 3/16ths rail, with a 10-11" overall frame depth.  A "heavy single" rail should be minimum 3/8" thick I think.

here in N.C it's 2 years also, and they will suspend your liscence if you dont get the card re-newed.. I sleep with CPAP, so mine is 1 year..  even though I am not employed as a driver anymore. jojo

19 hours ago, JoeH said:

We're all talking from different states. Fed govt drafts laws and states adopt them by and large but they'll adapt/modify as they see fit for their own purposes. Every state has their own nuances for licenses. In PA we get a notice every 2 years that if we don't submit a medical card before the old ones expiration date then our CDL endorsement will be dropped. Doesn't matter if you were "grandfathered" in, my dad got his CDL in the early 70s. He still has to get his medical card renewed I think every year because he's on blood pressure meds. Federal government regulates intERstate commerce, not intrastate commerce. They set the rules for going between states, but have no business telling states how to handle stuff in their own state.

Yeah I thought all the states were under the same federal guidelines,here in NY if you first got your cdl before 1999 and drive intrastate they give u a k on your license and no med required,but you can change that any time you want..

I bought the truck Monday. After the salesman explained to me they just took the truck in on trade and have done nothing to it. General Manager wanted to fix it up and sale it so wasn’t coming off one penny. Salesman told me if I wanted anything done to truck it would cost me 145 an hour. They are putting in windshield for purchase price. I asked parts guy was it heavy frame and he said it was. Truck was bought by county new and they have owned it roughly 21 years. It’s a one owner truck. It’s a little rough on inside but I should be able to fix it up. It has cable controls to raise and lower bed. I’m going have some questions for you guys. Thanks for all the information. I truly think this is one of the best forums I’m a member of. 

Edited by Ricky Beals
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

I bought the truck Monday. After the salesman explained to me they just took the truck in on trade and have done nothing to it. General Manager wanted to fix it up and sale it so wasn’t coming off one penny. Salesman told me if I wanted anything done to truck it would cost me 145 an hour. They are putting in windshield for purchase price. I asked parts guy was it heavy frame and he said it was. Truck was bought by county new and they have owned it roughly 21 years. It’s a one owner truck. It’s a little rough on inside but I should be able to fix it up. It has cable controls to raise and lower bed. I’m going have some questions for you guys. Thanks for all the information. I truly think this is one of the best forums I’m a member of. 

Good luck,before you start pick up a tub of hand cleaner and a lot of bandaids..😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:08 PM, Ricky Beals said:

I’m looking at the dump truck near my house and called my Mack dealer to get him to give me the Details from Vin. This is Mack dealer where I’m moving to. Somehow me and the parts guy hit it off when I went in last year. I give him the Vin and he says this truck got a 14000 pound axle and I’m like you got to be kidding. He says no I’m not but we just took a 2000 rd688 in on trade and it’s what your looking for. So he sent me the specs and it’s 18,000 front axle, Eaton fuller 8ll and mack rears. It was a customers truck and he says the truck has been maintained. They guy bought a new one with automatic. So I talked to sales manager and going down to buy it next week for 30,000.00 got 370,000 miles E7 350. Hopefully my search is over. 

The truck being a 2000, the only caveat I have for you is the engine computer on the right side: worn rear engine mounts can allow the engine to torque enough to put a dent in the engine computer, frying it.  Maintain good bushings in the rear engine mounts.  Repair tasks that risk denting that ECU:

Changing rear engine mount bushings

Removing transmission

Make sure any shop you let do these tasks knows to be extra careful they don't fry your ECU by allowing the engine to rock around while loose.