1999 Mack 690s

Ricky Beals

Question

This truck is being advertised for sale on Facebook so I have no idea how to put the listing on here. Truck has decent dump bed, tri  axle with a e7300, Eaton 8ll transmission and Mack rears. Has 560,000 miles and he is asking 26,500.00. I’m thinking 24,000.00 cash if truck checks out. Does this seem like a fair price for this truck? Try and upload photos tomorrow where service is better

Edited by Ricky Beals

I have tried and tried to tell people to use the clutch... I get told that I dont know what im talking about,,  I said, when you use the clutch, the flexing action of the pressure plate keeps the clutch clean by letting the dust and rust fly out and the clutch stays limber for lack of a better word..  ive had people tell me that they dont want to wear out thier linkage, and I say, thats what grease is for... lube the linkage and the cross shaft bushings and the throughout bearing till a little grease comes out onto the clutch brake,. that little grease on the clutch brake is the 'fuse' between a working clutch brake and one that is laying in the road somewhere... Jojo

I was told by an old mack log hauler to only use the clutch to change directions or from a complete stop. My only mack was a Maxitorque 9speed and it was easy to shift. I got to where I never used a clutch except changing directions or leaving from a stop. So do you use or not use a clutch? I also understand grinding ain’t finding the gear.

Edited by Ricky Beals

6 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

i sit and read these post finding myself in total awe. so glad i'm out of that work , still keep my CDL active with the hopes of taking an old B model on a road test. challenge is the CDL  a medical card is nearing impossible. open heart surgery in 2015 changed a lot of things

You can skip the medical card if you drive only in your home State..

21 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Joey isn't there some quirk about the twin stick 6 speed about not being able to move the truck while the PTO is engaged? If I remember correctly the auxiliary transmission has to be in neutral for the PTO to operate and you have to select a gear in the main box that gives a desirable PTO speed? This makes "tailgating" material with one impossible. Am I thinking about that correctly? If I am right that is literally the only drawback to one of those units. They are the quintessential Mack vocational transmission that pretty much cemented Mack's reputation as a "work truck".

i have had them both ways.  PTO only worked with main in 5th, and PTO with main in neutral. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

12 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

i sit and read these post finding myself in total awe. so glad i'm out of that work , still keep my CDL active with the hopes of taking an old B model on a road test. challenge is the CDL  a medical card is nearing impossible. open heart surgery in 2015 changed a lot of things

A lot of guys find luck getting their medical card and exam at a CVS clinic.

6 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

no idea. all i know is if you can not produce a valid medical card, the state of new jersey revokes your CDL

I’m not trying to be a know it all..lol,but I just looked it up,just like any other state you can self certify excepted interstate or excepted intrastate and no med card required,passenger vehicles is different,like a bus driver,med is required..

It depends on how your CDL is classified: interstate or intrastate. If you have it classified as interstate they will revoke it if you don't get your medical card renewed. If you get it changed to intrastate you get no correspondence regarding medical examination. I can vouch for this as I have had it classified as both ways at different times. You can go to the DMV and get is switched for something like a $10 administrative fee. But if you have it classified as intrastate you better not get caught in a neighboring state without a valid medical examiners card. All they guys saying your license will get taken are probably saying this because yes that's true if your CDL is in the interstate classification. A lot of guys do not know you can get it changed to intrastate travel only. I'm not quite sure what the government's logic here is but if you are medically unqualified to drive a 80,000 pound vehicle I don't see how staying within any state's boundary makes it OK to do so.....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i was not even aware you could have instate only license. makes no sense. 

you can have a medical emergency and run over a car of nuns just as easily instate as out of state. 

True,also to meet the requirements you have to only drive emergency vehicles or farm trucks or something like that,us older guys were grandfathered in if you first got your cdl before a certain date,I guess younger drivers have to do it..

13 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

It depends on how your CDL is classified: interstate or intrastate. If you have it classified as interstate they will revoke it if you don't get your medical card renewed. If you get it changed to intrastate you get no correspondence regarding medical examination. I can vouch for this as I have had it classified as both ways at different times. You can go to the DMV and get is switched for something like a $10 administrative fee. But if you have it classified as intrastate you better not get caught in a neighboring state without a valid medical examiners card. All they guys saying your license will get taken are probably saying this because yes that's true if your CDL is in the interstate classification. A lot of guys do not know you can get it changed to intrastate travel only. I'm not quite sure what the government's logic here is but if you are medically unqualified to drive a 80,000 pound vehicle I don't see how staying within any state's boundary makes it OK to do so.....

Nothing the feds do makes sense,also us older guys were grandfathered in,I drive local and don’t need to get it..

9 hours ago, MACKS said:

Nothing the feds do makes sense,also us older guys were grandfathered in,I drive local and don’t need to get it..

i have to chuckle on the "us older guys were grandfathered in" i was  grandfathered in for getting a CDL in the first place! before they started this medical card crap also. 

• Haha 1

Ricky... you may want to stay in touch on this one..  If the engine and driveline is solid and the frame is right....  It is one of the last real trucks left..  like I said before... I never owned a fleet, just repaired them.. there will be a very smart person here that will school you right..  good luck Ricky... jojo

• Like 1

The frame was solid and no rust. Been a south Arkansas truck all it’s life. Not a double frame but the big thick one. I’m thinking I will probably be sitting in sales office Monday morning. 
I will get better photos if I buy it. Of course I will have a lot of questions for you guys.

A5F59530-BF4E-4740-95EA-89BE4EFEAA29.jpeg

Edited by Ricky Beals

9 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

i have to chuckle on the "us older guys were grandfathered in" i was  grandfathered in for getting a CDL in the first place! before they started this medical card crap also. 

same here. i never took a driving test for anything. 

i started driving trucks on the farm at 13 years old. at 14 i was delivering grain to the co-op 25 miles away. 

for my car license at 17,i took a 49 international L-190 single axle tractor for my road test. 

the road test inspector did not know how to drive "a truck with three shifters" and failed me. 

i went inside the office and bitched. the manager asked why i  could not take the road test and the guy said i cant drive it if something happens. he looked out the window and stamped my permit passed. same for combination license, articulated license, and class "A".

grandfathered in for all three. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 2/11/2022 at 3:12 AM, MACKS said:

You can skip the medical card if you drive only in your home State..

Not in PA; gotta have medical card to keep your CDL. However, you can get an exemption from penndot that states you aren't currently employed to do CDL work, and thus you keep your CDL but can't drive trucks til you get your medical card. How hobby trucks play in...  Not sure.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:45 AM, tjc transport said:

i have had them both ways.  PTO only worked with main in 5th, and PTO with main in neutral. 

We have one we use every day.  PTO takes off the main box, works in gears 1-5, with the directional in Neutral. That's with a side mounted pto.  We bought a 1988 Mack with a 7 speed single stick, has the PTO on the rear of one of the counter shafts. Trans needs to be in neutral for that one.

We're all talking from different states. Fed govt drafts laws and states adopt them by and large but they'll adapt/modify as they see fit for their own purposes. Every state has their own nuances for licenses. In PA we get a notice every 2 years that if we don't submit a medical card before the old ones expiration date then our CDL endorsement will be dropped. Doesn't matter if you were "grandfathered" in, my dad got his CDL in the early 70s. He still has to get his medical card renewed I think every year because he's on blood pressure meds. Federal government regulates intERstate commerce, not intrastate commerce. They set the rules for going between states, but have no business telling states how to handle stuff in their own state.