Clattering with light load

Lukasswaziek

5 minutes ago, Swishy said:

My 2 cents worth sez (tax free 2day)

Get the RSend air born & get sum daylight under the wheels & see if U can replicate the problem

We had a truck clatterin but was loose wheel wedges and nuts on spider spoke wobbly wheels

cya

fronts are budd  the complaint states noise sounds to be from belhousing area. i do agree with loose wedges ; i've seen it happen. to be that looose the tire would spin on the hub though

good one Mech...  I have a 3/8" car brake line that i use..  it works too.. simple, cheap, and these tools work..   I was close on the crankshaft end play...  It's .004"-.011"... the first pic is E-6 2 valve, the second is E-6 4 valve..jojo

KIMG0859.JPG

KIMG0860.JPG

i was thinking about taking the belts off, and running it to see if the noise is still there. unless it only does it when driving?  sorry if i missed something here..  jojo

I have a separate P.C. for that..  :) my wife put a anti virus on this one, and like many other vaccines, my P.C. got the bug..  I will re-start it later.  it's working again..     This clattering issue is one that I wish I was there to see it happen... so many things could be the cause. is the hood vent and air control loose and rattling?  or something else loose and vibrating? who know's? hopefully not a major issue.. jojo

32 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I have a separate P.C. for that..  :) my wife put a anti virus on this one, and like many other vaccines, my P.C. got the bug..  I will re-start it later.  it's working again..     This clattering issue is one that I wish I was there to see it happen... so many things could be the cause. is the hood vent and air control loose and rattling?  or something else loose and vibrating? who know's? hopefully not a major issue.. jojo

frustrating isn't it. you want to help , but can't . loose and vibrating wouldn't be so specific at one rpm range or load/no load. we all know the out come... cause is located we will all say " why didn't i think of that!!LOL almost want to hop in my vehicle and drive there for physical diagnostic check.this forum is fun to watch a vehicle built, or help with an electrical issue . intermittent  noise had me staring at the ceiling 3 am today. brain racking.

• Haha 1

i keep going back to original post trying to search for clues. if it were the fan hub kicking in or out  12-16 rpms wouldn't be as important as temp; which would explain light vs heavy load. but the noise came while truck was up on blocks. couldn't have gotten to temp. a set of mismatched belts slapping won't make it to the cab. running down mental list of all external parts ; can'tbe he was walking around unit while it was running on blocks and the noise was heard. any engine related issues would not make a difference in gear or not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

what popped in my head was a bad clutch disc, bearing in the front of the tranny,  but I dont like to start out big and work my way down to a simple issue..  the issue happens in a specific range, under a light load. so then I thought something is loose and only vibrates at a certain RPM or strain..  I really enjoy posting here, but sometimes,  I get caught up in it, and go on a tangent.  I'm still impressed by how many people there are here, that are willing to help..  Jojo

mentally i've been hanging out at the clutch dept since the get go of this topic,seems to be source of clatter . parts in clutch subject to different pressure under changing loads you were in the right with the bar up to pilot shaft. as stated earlier; not being there to try things which are automatic reactions challenge.  truck running on blocks, 1- was the clutch partially engaged looking for change in clatter 2-does the truck shift correctly,3 -what was difference with clatter from on blocks to road trial 4-  is there a way to put a video on this forum so we can hear the clatter?

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Something is out of balance. I know most engines have an out of balance point where they transmit vibration at a specific rpm. Most really good engine builders will actually put pistons and rods on a scale and place them together to get the closest weight for each. Clearly Mack doesn’t do this in the factory haha. It could be very well be possible that this vibration is transmitting into the transmission. Since he says it has to be in gear for this to happen. I’d like for him to post a video of this issue to really help pin point the issue. 

3 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

i'll bet you didn't try the "heater hose technic" you and others will have a good laugh . take a length of heater hose ; 1 in x 2-3 ft long worked for me. i know today they make fancy stethoscopes . hose to your best ear and follow under neath till you close in on the noise. that noise isn't bad, frustrating and making me scratch my head is ::why did i say I DO twice!!!LOL

A screwdriver is what I learned to use! Put the tip of the screwdriver on the engine or trans and cup the end of the handle to your ear and it's like a whole symphony suddenly comes to life.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 6:19 PM, Lukasswaziek said:

So I have an issue that's been going on as long as I've owned this truck, it's a e6 350 with a maxitorque 9 speed. Between 1200 and 1600 rpm I hear a distinct clatter but only under light load and the truck has to be in gear and rolling. When I rev it up in place at that RPM range It won't make the noise at all, and when I'm pulling a heavy load and get into it, it goes away also. Sounds a little too loud to be an injector knock. Oil pressure is around 30 at idle, 60psi at 1600, 90 at 2100 and oil is clean. Just put a headgaskets in it and cylinder walls look great, all still have crosshatching and no scoring. This noise almost sounds like it's coming from the rear of the engine or more like the bellhousing/clutch. Sounds like it's right under the cab when I'm driving. I'm not sure where to start. 

PXL_20211209_200904618.jpg

Does it make a difference what gear you are in? Hi range? Low range? If you put your foot on the clutch pedal and apply gentle pressure to the throw out bearing (without disengaging clutch) does the noise change?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Something is out of balance. I know most engines have an out of balance point where they transmit vibration at a specific rpm. Most really good engine builders will actually put pistons and rods on a scale and place them together to get the closest weight for each. Clearly Mack doesn’t do this in the factory haha. It could be very well be possible that this vibration is transmitting into the transmission. Since he says it has to be in gear for this to happen. I’d like for him to post a video of this issue to really help pin point the issue. 

the whole purpose of the vibration damper on front of crank is to account for "mismatched" pistons and rods. an earlier text stated it's not a vibration; it's a clatter, that's the challenge to this problem. vibration damper do go bad; specially when some one takes a hammer to them trying to remove one. sure hope we are informed of the solution  if one is found. 

On 2/3/2022 at 8:38 PM, Lukasswaziek said:

Okay so got the read ends on jackstands, front wheels blocked. Put it in a higher gear and would drag the brakes and now I'm leaning more twords the engine making the noise. It sounds like a real bad injector knock, but for some reason just resonates in the cab. but then again I'm not hugely familiar with Mack trucks and the noises they make. Mostly worked on and drove cats and cummins. I checked the pto's to see if either one was making the noise and it's not that. If you get it at the right rpm it sounds more like a hard knock rather, but otherwise clatters with the engine firing

Where are you located? You might have an expert on here not too far away....

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Where are you located? You might have an expert on here not too far away....

sure hope you (we) get a reply. don't think it's connecticut. the field in the back ground looks way too big.this post has my wife concerned reguards to my mental stability; i have a magnifier  and  my phone taking a picture of first post trying to enlarge the door to read location. too blurry.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, JoeH said:

A screwdriver is what I learned to use! Put the tip of the screwdriver on the engine or trans and cup the end of the handle to your ear and it's like a whole symphony suddenly comes to life.

the screwdriver method also works and has been done. the heater hose works a tad better for being under neath on a creeper or leaning over a wheel searching for that pain in a-- noise/ air leak