2007 Mack CH/CHN 613 427HP E7... To buy or not to buy

Hello all,

New here. Not to the trucking industry though. Currently own a 2011 Cascadia DD15 and a 2008 VNL670 D13.

Looking to add a 3rd truck to my fleet and stumbled across this E7. I think the manufacture date was late 2006. Can't remember what the sticker said.

It's very low miles.. under 30k, but 15,000 hours on the clock. It has a PTO. Not sure what it was used for, but the 5th wheel plate doesn't even look like it's been greased. ever. The frame looks as clean as it did in 2007 practically. You can tell it's actual miles. I was initially excited when I found out it was not another D13 (MP) motor. I've had my share of Volvo issues. Injector, EGR Cooler, EGR, DPF, etc. etc. But then started reading about E7's.. Torn here.

I've seen posts where guys talk about how reliable the E7 is. Although that suffered from like 2003-2006 or something like that. Basically when the electronics and EGR stuff started ramping up. Is this one going to be a lemon or is it late enough that they sorted through all the issues. Seen some posts about hindsight and knowing the fixes to a lot of these issues. Can I buy and fix prior to having issues? Price is right. Just don't have enough background with MACK.

Should I pull the trigger. Or stay away? Any help is much appreciated! Fixes? Dealer recommended bring it in and go through the overhead. And if it makes a difference, it's the silver. 13 Eaton. Flat top sleeper. With a drop axle. Although I don't think I plan to go heavy with it. Probably just roll 80k on 5.

I'm pretty sure anything after the E7 Etech engine (1998-2002) are not really E7s. The engine in a 2006 is the ASET (application specific engine technology) and are not very well liked by most. The block and rotating assembly might be an E7 Etech but that's about it. There are two versions of the ASET: The AC and the AI, which pertains to internal EGR cooling vs. external EGR cooling. There are a slew of other differences too. A road tractor is usually the AC version. There are a lot of other guys on here who are much more knowledgeable on these early emission engines who will chime in. 

• Like 1

Well if it's and ASET CEGR, I would get youre wallet strengthened up.  If you dont know how to tell what engine series is in it, just look at the turbo... if its huge and you see EGR valve and piping, thats the Expensive one,  Good luck. I love Mack's but not the ASET CEGR engine..  there will be more opinions coming... jojo

• Like 1

Did a little bit of research.. Internal cooling of the EGR vs Coolant cooled.. Basically the CEGR has a EGR Cooler. I believe this one does.

Can they not be deleted? Egr/EGR Cooler delete... To eliminate that headache and wallet busting junk..

I don't know of any, and with the fancy pants computer's on this truck, you are basically looking for future problems.  sorry bud... and deleted truck's can be 'refused' at truck repair shop's because of the delete.... correct me, if i'm wrong.....  jojo

• Like 2

Also to add to jojo, these trucks run worst and are more prone to catastrophic failure with deletes. Not just Mack. They are programmed and engineered to run as efficiently as possible with all the shit bolted to them. Believe it or not….

Just my experience but, with the EGR cooler removed, and the system blocked but otherwise intact, I’ve not had any issue with my ASET. I installed a block off plate between the manifold and EGR valve, left the electronics connected but removed the oil lines. Also had a block plate welded to the crossover pipe. Really cleans up that side of the engine. I’ve ran it two years with no check engine lights like this. Now I do all my own work, other than the annual inspection. If this truck is as clean as you say I’d be all over it. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2022 at 7:28 AM, JKuhl said:

Just my experience but, with the EGR cooler removed, and the system blocked but otherwise intact, I’ve not had any issue with my ASET. I installed a block off plate between the manifold and EGR valve, left the electronics connected but removed the oil lines. Also had a block plate welded to the crossover pipe. Really cleans up that side of the engine. I’ve ran it two years with no check engine lights like this. Now I do all my own work, other than the annual inspection. If this truck is as clean as you say I’d be all over it. 

Do you have pictures of this? I’d like to do it to my trucks, I have about 5 of them.