Etech 400

gio400

Question

12 answers to this question

I have an AI 400, not sure if that is a "E-Tech", but the 400 falls on its face below 1500 Rpm, which is the complete opposite of what the old tride and true Macks of the 80's and early 90's did.  The transmission can make a big difference if you have some gears to work with, and multiple posts on here about solving some of these power issues.

AI is an ASET (application specific engine technology) with in cylinder EGR. Started in 02 I think which was the end of the “E-tec”. As for the performance on the E-tec 400 they are pretty good and the E-tec engines were the last of the better ones. If your coming from another truck and never had a Mack then most likely you will think it’s a “dog”. Mack’s we’re never fast or built to be, but they will pull anything. DieselDog is right about the gearing and trans with these trucks. What kind of truck is it that your looking at? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

AI is an ASET (application specific engine technology) with in cylinder EGR. Started in 02 I think which was the end of the “E-tec”. As for the performance on the E-tec 400 they are pretty good and the E-tec engines were the last of the better ones. If your coming from another truck and never had a Mack then most likely you will think it’s a “dog”. Mack’s we’re never fast or built to be, but they will pull anything. DieselDog is right about the gearing and trans with these trucks. What kind of truck is it that your looking at? 

The ASET came out in late 2003. With all the flaws the E-Tech had, looking back they were actually very good.

V

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vmac3 said:

The ASET came out in late 2003. With all the flaws the E-Tech had, looking back they were actually very good.

V

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isnt the ASET just an E-Tec with emission controls and different programming? For example having CCRS (current controlled rate shaping).   

I believe you are correct 'sir'....   I call it Ceramic Cam Roller Sh1t...jojo Looking back..... I agree with 'V'  the early E-Tech wasn't that bad.  certainly better than the ASET CEGR..... jojo

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I believe you are correct 'sir'....   I call it Ceramic Cam Roller Sh1t...jojo Looking back..... I agree with 'V'  the early E-Tech wasn't that bad.  certainly better than the ASET CEGR..... jojo

Which ones were pretty well known for flaking/breaking cams? I heard a lot of “talk” about it, but never came across one. 

Early E-tech's were the ones,  from what I learned, the brass spindle that the roller, spun on, would flat spot and stopthe roller and then the firestorm starts..  I have seen 'flaked' rollers, pitted rollers, and flatened rollers down the the yoke on the lifter, cutting into the lifter, and still running, terrible of course... did I answer youre question? jojo

• Thanks 1

I also learned from true Mack old timer's, that Mack farmed out parts for the E-tech to Bosch, and they made crappy lifters, and the fuel pump was nothing to write home about.. for example..  I really welcome other opinion's on my statement's.. but really.... to me.... it's the best alternative to have a 'million mile engine' if you don't have an E-6 or E-7... a bit about me... I did my first cam job in 2000, on an E-Tech... i have only done about 40 of them since, so I'm not really an expert...  just Joey mack.. :) 

• Like 1

Interesting stuff….crazy to think that mack would farm out part production such as lifters to Bosch! The fuel pumps on the e-techs were the ones with the plastic gears and would spin on the shafts right? Damn 40 cams is pretty impressive…🍻

I worked in 3 Mack Dealer shop's and a couple private co's and 2 bigger co's that were 75% + Macks...  so when the boss's saw that I could do the job's and didn't 'bitch'   well.....   guess who got the engine job's...  no biggie, just my path..  I still want to learn more about the one's I know. Hell in a couple of the shop's I got all the tranny build's and rear end's too...  ok, I'm rambling again...  jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1