B Model Car Hauler

Ok, the cab portion looked "purchased", as getting the compound curve would be a bear. Or is it two pieces? The SS will stay nicer looking(since it's exposed), so the lower brackets could be aluminum as they are under the visor.

Dang.......sure looks purdy! Always loved a freshly painted engine.............too bad they never again look that good(at least mine don't).

I bet it will really put some guys reeling trying to decide WHAT it is once it's in the truck. I might have just painted it Mack gold or the grey color that was on the old 673's. That would really hide the fact it's a binder.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Freightrain, yes the cab part of the bracket is made from two pieces welded together. You have to run a series of short beads to keep the heat down otherwise the brackets will distort. I'm not the best welder so I had to grind the welds down and polish the brackets in order to make them look okay.

We actually considered painting the engine gold but went with the Cat Yellow at the last minute. I hope Mackdog's prediction doesn't apply to Cornbinder engines. :(

• 4 weeks later...

It's been about three weeks since I posted an update. We've been working on the truck but it's been the kind of slow progress that doesn't look like much.

We took the truck apart getting ready to install the new axles...

309449cre.jpg

Then we dropped the engine in and put the cab in place to check for clearance. The IHC engine is smaller than the 707ci Mack engine but the fan sticks out a long ways so it takes up almost as much room.

309475cre.jpg

We were able to use the Mack's rear motor mounts we just had to make new brackets to come off of the IHC engine. We'll finish welding those when we pull the engine back out.

309488cre.jpg

The IHC axles have hydraulic brakes, so did the Mack axles but the Mack setup used a master cylinder mounted under the floor and a hydro-vac unit on the frame. The IHC setup uses pressure from the power steering pump and also has an electric motor as a backup in case the engine stalls. The simplest setup was to mount the IHC brake peddle and master cylinder to the firewall. It was also easier to install the IHC throttle peddle rather than try to adapt the throttle cable and transmission modulator cable to the Mack peddle.

309487cre.jpg

We just installed the wide "super single" tires today, they look good! We're also working on the exhaust. The bus we're using for a donor truck had a new exhaust system so we were able to re-use the muffler and quite a bit of the piping. Pretty soon we'll be able to pull the cab and box off to sandblast and paint the chassis.

Jim

309483cre.jpg

Edited by phantom309

Paul, That might be a good idea! :unsure:

The fan clears the stock Mack rad just fine but we've also got to fit in a air to air cooler and an air conditioning condenser. I had considered remote mounting the AC condenser and transmission cooler and using electric fans for them but hadn't considered electric fans for the rad, that might free up some room. The IHC fan is also just a regular thermatic as opposed to an air operated clutch fan so it'll probably draw a fair bit of power and also be pretty noisy.

Jim

• 2 months later...

We had to leave the Mack sitting for about six weeks while we got a few other things done but we're back working on it.

We're making some progress. The box is all welded up and the inner fenders are done. The floor will be wood.

2009-06-27001.jpg

We're renting the shop next door to use for sandblasting and painting. All the cab and box parts are done.

2009-06-27016.jpg

There was no rust on anything so that's going to make the body work easier. We had to modify the firewall in order to get the new heater and air conditioner setup to fit. We also had to modify the top of the firewall to make room for the electric wipers from the bus. By the way, we used a stainless steel sink for a dog house. It looks a little goofy right now but it'll look fine when it's done.

2009-06-27014.jpg

We ran the chassis over today.

2009-06-27007.jpg

We'll be blasting that tomorrow. It'll be good to get the blasting finished, it's a lot of work.

2009-06-27013.jpg

Great work!! I can't WAIT to see it start to come together. It's going to be awesome!

"no rust on anything"................ok, ok............just rub it in! LOL!!! I had to buy special welding wire to get two pieces of rust to stick together on my truck LMAO!!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Great work!! I can't WAIT to see it start to come together. It's going to be awesome!

"no rust on anything"................ok, ok............just rub it in! LOL!!! I had to buy special welding wire to get two pieces of rust to stick together on my truck LMAO!!!!

I've just about went broke buying "Bazooka Bubble Gum" to keep mine together!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well I feel like we're making progress now. The sandblasting is all done and the chassis is painted. We used Magnet brand Chassis Saver paint. http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp I've never used POR paint but I think this stuff is similar. It's a little different than regular paint to work with but it's as tough as nails. Once it's cured you can barely scratch it.

309517.jpg

309523.jpg

309541.jpg

• 2 months later...

We're finally getting back to working on the Mack. We went to a wrecking yard and got some seats and a console from a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. As you can see from the first picture the size is similar to the Mack seat. We had to build pedestals to raise everything to the proper height. We were able to adapt the automatic shifter from the bus into the console, it'll look fine once we make a bezel for it.

309542.jpg

309557.jpg

We also installed a new radio with a GPS, Bluetooth and satellite radio. We wanted to mount it a bit higher but the motor from the electric wipers was in the way. Soon we'll be able to start on the paint and body work.

309551.jpg

Here's a picture of the frame with the engine installed.

2009-08-18090cr.jpg

AC

GPS

wow

How about power steering?

We're going to stay with the Mack's "armstrong" steering. We wanted to use the power steering from the bus but the Mack frame gets wider at the front, so it won't fit. I think the manual steering will be fine because the truck will carry quite a bit less weight on the front axle. (the new engine and trans are quite a bit lighter)

I took the steering box apart and it was in perfect shape, all I had to do was change the seal.

Jim

We're finally getting back to working on the Mack. We went to a wrecking yard and got some seats and a console from a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

309542.jpg

There ya go Locomotivebreath

Did you make any progress this week Jim

Edited by In2Trux

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.