Are these 2 issues related?

I’m going to pickup a new switch, and see if that makes a difference, dealer wants $100 bucks for the reostat, I was originally thinking maybe it was not the switch but I doubt all the Lights are out, we will replace the sketch and see what happens. If it’s not the switch how hard is it to remove the cluster?

Thats low, are the batts good? during this test? I have simply put a paper clip in the plug at the dimmer switch to see if the lights come on "Full bright"..

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Thats low, are the batts good? during this test? I have simply put a paper clip in the plug at the dimmer switch to see if the lights come on "Full bright"..

I honestly haven’t checked the battery’s. I will have to. You put a paper clip in the plug like a jumper? I’ll have to try that, see if I have a paper clip somewhere.

edit truck on getting 12.9v to that plug 

Edited by Dmurph2016

1 hour ago, Onyx610 said:

That’s a circuit breaker, you can test it with a volt meter or switch it with a known good one and see if that fixes it. 

I was at the dealer picking up my speed sensor, and I was talking to the guy at the counter, he brought up a good point. If that circuit breaker was bad, I wouldn’t be getting the 12v at the plug, I told him I jumped the plug and still no lights, he said there’ a good chance that the bulbs could all be Burnt out. So I think I’m going to try to figure out how you take the cluster out so I can check the bulbs 

1 hour ago, Onyx610 said:

I was gonna say, most likely you have some bulbs out in the dash. Between vibration and age it’s a good chance. 

What I was originally thinking, but the chance that all the gauge lights are out seemed less likely to me, but probably what the issue is. 

You take the cluster out of the dash... unplug it... then take it apart and change the little tiny bulbs.. I think the are #68 bulbs..  wicked small,,, I beleive they are in a little socket that turns a 1/4 turn to remove/install them...  Just be careful handeling the circuit board... its about $1000.00 if you break it..  You may be able to remove the bulbs from the socket or you will have to buy the bulb and socket complete.  I used to get these from MACK...  I'm sorry that I dont have a picture of the bulbs... jojo

• Like 1

Ok, I forgot that I had some bulbs.. Forget #68,, i think those were for the strip that has the turn signals and low air and such, like in an MR or LE...  I believe the bulb pics I sent are correct. Just look to see if these bulbs are in the circuit board... Jojo

KIMG0580.JPG

KIMG0581.JPG

• Like 1

Weren't those lights black ( or green ) in those ?  Same tiny bulb in twist in base.  If I remember correctly, all the screws that hold the gauge panel in the dash were #27 torx  then the harness plugs had the squeeze to release tabs on them ( and only go on one way )

15 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

yes I think so, I was basically showing an example of a bulb... but for some reason I couldnt remember the exact description...   

(lol)  this kid needs all the help he can get  

On 7/7/2021 at 6:24 AM, Mark T said:

(lol)  this kid needs all the help he can get  

I do need all the help I can get, and I’m not afraid to admit that! I would rather look stupid asking questions then go and just pry stuff apart and damage things, because it sucks when you try to go fix one little thing and it ends up costing you a bunch of money to fix a bunch of other things that broke in the process. With that said, I’m not sure if the truck just decided that it wanted to cooperate or what, but I went to get it inspected and as the guys putting the sticker on the windshield I see that the dash lights are all working, hopefully they stay working.  

edit* I guess I jinxed myself, just went to check something in the truck and the gauge lights came on, then you could hear a click and they shut off and won’t come back on. 

Edited by Dmurph2016
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Sounds like a relay or circuit breaker 

I checked the circuit breaker for the gauge lights and it had continuity. I tried a different circuit breaker, same result no gauge lights. Not sure if there’s a delay for the gauge lights by themselves. I may have to end up taking the cluster out and looking around.

image.jpg

Edited by Dmurph2016

13 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Did you check the grounds inside the dash?  I may have asked this before, sorry ,I forgot. Jojo

This as well…I’m not to familiar with this model truck, so my input will be limited in some areas. Also was the “click” mechanical sounding or like an electrical arc click?