‘69 R600

kansasflyer

Question

I’m looking at restoring a 69 R600 for logging use hauling logs from the woods to the paper mill. It has a 235 Remack engine from 1978. It also has a 5 speed tranny and 4.17 rears on a camel back suspension. Would this be a quality candidate for hauling 80 to 90k # loads? 
 I’m not a fan of it’s spoke wheels and no brakes on the steer axle. Not sure how DOT will like that.

13 answers to this question

It'll work considering that's what they used 50 years ago to do the same job but remember everything is 50 years older and newer trucks with twice the HP will leave you in the dust. I agree with Terry that 5 speed is probably not my first choice for soft ground and heavy loads. The lack of front brakes will probably be grandfathered in. I personally would rather have all the stopping power available. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alex g said:

It'll work considering that's what they used 50 years ago to do the same job but remember everything is 50 years older and newer trucks with twice the HP will leave you in the dust.

^^^^ Plus one to this..^^^^^

Is It going to be a Toy..??

or a Work Truck..?? 

if your Going to Work It? I hope you're Handy on the Spanners.! 'cause you'll be spending all your weekends (& then some) Keeping It up to scratch..

i can't see the Spoke Wheels causing you any Dramas at all. I'm with alex g when It comes to Brakes though..

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Thanks everyone for your input. When I came across it, it was being used on a farm in western Oklahoma. My guess is that it was originally an oil field truck. I’m torn over restoring it, or finding something newer, like a 90s CH model. Another question: How difficult is it to install A/C on an old R model? It is NOT factory equipped. It is a day cab. No sleeper.

My friends Superliner has an A/C system under the passenger seat, the grill condensor is on the frame behind the cab with its own cooling fan. it works good, add a small fan to move the air, and you should be good,,, No Snowflakes will come from the vents, sorry.... :) It was under $700.00, it uses the compressor on the engine, the rest is self contained..  I willl try to get the name tomorrow,  jojo

13 hours ago, kansasflyer said:

Thanks everyone for your input. When I came across it, it was being used on a farm in western Oklahoma. My guess is that it was originally an oil field truck. I’m torn over restoring it, or finding something newer, like a 90s CH model. Another question: How difficult is it to install A/C on an old R model? It is NOT factory equipped. It is a day cab. No sleeper.

they used to make a drop in ac kit for the old macks. remove the heater box, and bolt the AC box in. 

hardest part was mounting the condenser in front of the radiator and running the lines. 

i don't know if they still make those kit anymore though. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 7/8/2021 at 8:49 PM, samiam said:

I am now 63. My dad had the exact truck. I grew up using them logging as well. We had two trucks for parts. Why not. They did a decent job back in the 80’s and 90’s.  I get tired of being so slow on the roads and hills?  OMG!

I still have the truck. I inherited his. 
ive redone it top to bottom. Red dot on cab top.  New drums, chambers brakes. New paint and lettering. 
it’s sitting in my Barn. We have been loggers for 5 generations. I have 300 acres of prime timber to log still. Dad never logged his own land. 
I intend on short hauls or just out of the woods. It’s a straight truck with pintle hook log wagon.  237 and the 5 speed, no front brakes. June of 1980 and prior were grandfathered in. 
I have the 6 speed to put in it. I’m getting old fast. Hoping to log our woods with my adult sons. Share the money. They own tree service companies now. They would love it. 
just have to go do it. 

30753B25-5382-49FE-9624-F54508958B00.jpeg

3F826E83-00C8-4FE8-B3ED-5D76DE40E282.jpeg

964E2729-894C-478F-B8B4-95EE95212807.jpeg

That truck is truly part of the family! Nice.