Point is, there are a lot of options out there.  And, don't forget, you can go the Eaton-Fuller route if you want to .  But, that adds a lot of complexity in finding all the right parts.  The build sheet on mine had several pages of goodies related to the RoadRanger box they built it with.

I still like the 13-speed Triplex and 18-speed Quadruplex boxes for top speed.  Just as long as you don't twist them in half with that Maxidyne engine!  lots of folks running those boxes in hobby trucks behind a 237 Maxi.  But, if actually working it, you have to be careful, because those boxes are not built for the torque of a Maxi.

The one I used to drive had 4.17:1 gears and the 18-speed.  Direct 4th was good for just about 60-62.  Hi-Split 4th would easily go to 65-67.  I could never find the limit on Hi-Split 5th (didn't have enough HP on that ENDT-673C 250-horse to get there!).

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I don't exactly know what boxes y'all are talking about.  Might have been later versions.  But, there was a 5-speed with a single stick (TRL-107 series).  Then, there was a 6-speed "extended range" with 2 sticks (TRXL-107 series).  The "lo" on the compound was supposed to be used only in 1st gear.  That's your extra low gear.

Here is graphic showing some detail on the ones I am talking about.  The TRXL-1070 (or maybe it was a TRDXL-1070) would have been the same as the TRXL-107, but with "direct in 4th", and an overdrive 5th.  The "0" on the end of the number is the "overdrive" designation.

Model numbers were on the left side of the box.  There are several discussions on here that have pictures showing the location.

Somebody on here had the one I am talking about (TRDXL-1070).  Check out this link.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/56848-mack-trdxl-1070-questions/

image.png.90e60021338beee37557ba51e87aac1d.png

image.png.0c6b26ddd88f9a7c1ac795a57f25cd83.png

That is exactly what i was looking for. I can see that there is no worries about reverse regardless of what rear I choose. I checked mine out and it is a trx107

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Point is, there are a lot of options out there.  And, don't forget, you can go the Eaton-Fuller route if you want to .  But, that adds a lot of complexity in finding all the right parts.  The build sheet on mine had several pages of goodies related to the RoadRanger box they built it with.

I still like the 13-speed Triplex and 18-speed Quadruplex boxes for top speed.  Just as long as you don't twist them in half with that Maxidyne engine!  lots of folks running those boxes in hobby trucks behind a 237 Maxi.  But, if actually working it, you have to be careful, because those boxes are not built for the torque of a Maxi.

The one I used to drive had 4.17:1 gears and the 18-speed.  Direct 4th was good for just about 60-62.  Hi-Split 4th would easily go to 65-67.  I could never find the limit on Hi-Split 5th (didn't have enough HP on that ENDT-673C 250-horse to get there!).

I have the triplex in the '59, a duplex in the '55 and I don't recall what is in the '58. I will likely stick with the maxi torque since i have it and it seems like a good reliable trans. Since i don't plan to haul anything heavy think I will try to find a rear gear that will put me between 1200 and 1400 RPM at 60MPH. Better on fuel and quieter in the cab. I have big plans and have decided (subject to change without notice) that, even though I DO NOT want to have a yard/shop full of half finished projects, I will put my Model A delivery aside next winter and do one of the Macks. I think I can finish one in one winter then go back to the model A. 

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I am real anxious to see what you can do with that B.  If it comes out as nice as some of the other stuff in your shop, it should be pretty awesome.

Thanks. I'm getting pretty pumped about getting on it. I have most if it all figured out as to what i want to do, just working on a few details.

Edited by Licensed to kill